Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What telescope and eyepiece showed you the Veil

I can't wait to put my UHC filter fully to the test

Why wait for summer?

The Rosette nebula is a huge winter neb that'll give your filter a chance to stretch its legs. Have a go at the cone nebula too while your in the area.

Good hunting

Regards Steve

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 1st view of the Veil came a few years back with a Baader UHC-S filter and an ED100 refractor. Using the same filter I have also spotted the brighter portion with an ST80 refractor. The eyepiece I used back then was a KK Widescan III which was a 2" 30mm with a whopping 84 degree AFoV. It showed astigmatism in scopes faster than F/8 but had great light throughput.

My favourite views of the Veil are with my 102mm ED F/6.5 refactor, the 31mm Nagler and an Astronomik O-III filter. I can fit both the east and west portions of the Veil into the same FoV and on good nights I can pick out the faint glow of the aptly named Pickerings Triangular Wisp too.

The smallest instrument I've seen the Veil with are my 15x70 binoculars. On a couple of dark nights last summer I was able to make out the brighter eastern segment of the Veil - that was unfiltered as well.

For a more detailed view of the segements of the Veil my 10" newtonian on a dark night is excellent, the O-III filter helping to trace the filaments of nebulosity for some distance.

It's a wonderful object and definitely my favourite deep sky target :)

My 1st view of the veil was with my old C11 unfiltered with a Vixen Lanthanum 30mm 2" eyepiece from my back garden. I was gobsmacked that I could see so much.

My Meade 127ED Triplet shows the brighter parts unfiltered with teh same eyepiece but an O111 brings in far more.

Philj

My one and only ever view of the Veil Nebula, was a sight I shan't ever forget. I was at Kelling, and the scope was a 20" Obsession owned by Linton Guise. It was an Incredible experience, and one I never imagined would be so revealing of a tenuous deep sky object such as the Veil. I saw other sights too, M27 Almost as good as a Long exposure image, M13 Globular, another mind blowing spectacle, even though it was low down, setting in the Western sky.

I've always advocated Large aperture scopes were desirable, and this one demonstration of how good they can be, cemented my opinion.

Simply Magic.

Ron.

Archived