Hi I'm new

Buccaneer

Hello everyone, I'm a complete novice but keen to learn. I live in east Devon, quite far from any towns so I have great sky on a clear night. I really want to get a telescope so I can enjoy it and learn more about it. I have heard that you are friendly and helpful here so looking forward to getting envolved.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Plenty of choice out there regarding types and sizes of telescope, so its worth taking your time and doing the homework. One strong recommendation, would be to participate in a couple of observations evenings which are organised by many clubs and observing groups at this time of year. The reason is that all the facts, sizes and specifications (even opinions) won't mean a thing unless you have established your own benchmark from which to hang these specifics from. Of course the other advantage is that you can get up close to this kit to understand the size (storage, transportation), requirements such as possible setup and cool down times and the differences that scopes make to the view itself (refractors providing a darker sky, reflectors offering better light grab of faint objects etc).

The another important advantage that is often overlooked on these viewing evenings, is the ability to witness the difference that eyepieces can make to your viewing experience. Having bought the scope, the next decision will be how to improve on the view you see. The eyepieces that come with the scope are pretty good and certainly a big improvement on what used to be supplied but eventually you will want to upgrade. Making a note of not only the scope but also the eyepiece you are looking through will help you make an informed decision on what might best suite your needs. The chances are that the person whose scope you are looking through has already done all the hard work in experimenting with different types and costs and so their experience will help make the final decision a little easier.

Clear skies for now

James

Archived