Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gigantic blob floating in space, IC 443 Jellyfish Nebula

Grinde

Good morning ppl

Here's a newly processed photo of the jellyfish, shot in excellent conditions although the exposures was cut short since I wanted to shoot more targets the same night, but I'm surprised how well the image turned out.

It's a HaRGB, but I'm planning to add some O3 later to give the colors a more dynamic range.

Takahashi FSQ106EDX

QSI 583wsg

10Micron GM2000 HPS

All subs unguided

Ha: 4*20min

RGB: 2*5min / channel

Like the rosette-nebula I shoot earlier, I really recommend you to open the fullsize 100% version, it's fantastic to just "surf around" & enjoy all the details this lovely field of view offers!

First off, the 50% version:

6921603455_a6e2733334.jpg

Click here for the 100% version:

6775488682_12aed5eee2_b.jpg

It was a fantastic journey from the beginning to the finished image, the processing took quite some time, since I stopped many times, just to zoom in float around in the image, exploring all the details in the nebula.

Thanks for watching & I hope you enjoyed watching the image as much as I did when processing it

Jonas

Thank you all, I'm glad you enjoyed the photo!

What sort of mount are you using and what's your polar alignment secret???

The answer to both questions is the 10Micron GM2000 HPS... I just did 2 iterations of polar-alignment following the instructions in the handcontroller. 3star alignment + a few extra refinement-stars, then polar-align function, where the mount slews to a star & misses it, & I center the star using the alt/az bolts on the mount... My polar error is computed to 47" after the two iterations, & the mount takes that in calculation & sends corrections to the dec while I'm tracking, "simulating" a perfect polar-alignment, & also corrects for atmospheric refraction & calculates the flex & compensates for it. All done in the handcontroller, by just centering extra alignment-stars, simple yet incredibly effective

Great image Grinde! Regardless of corrections, that really only applies to pointing and tracking - the image would still rotate if you were way off. But it's a smashing kit and the processing leaves me gasping for air...

More please, more!

Regardless of corrections, that really only applies to pointing and tracking - the image would still rotate if you were way off.

Thanks for pointing that out, you are 100% correct. There's no substitute for a good polar-alignment, but my error of 47" seems to be more than enough, so I didn't have to spend all night trying to achieve a perfect polar-alignment, just two relatively short runs with the built in polar-alignment routine.

Thanks to my new obsy & mount, I finally have more data than I have the time to process, I got 4 more images waiting to be processed, it's an imaging dream coming true! :)

Fantastic image Grinde although please dont take this the wrong way but im also as impressed with the 10Micron mount. Wow thats a bit of kit, but then should be at around 12k, but hey thats what you need to pay for the brilliance of German engineering.

I could look at this picture all day :)

Thank you very much, I've always dreamed of being able to produce photos that'd have that effect, & here I am, staring at the photo over & over again :) But here's a cool thing, I've just captured almost 5 hours of O3 data that lifts the weak outer O3-shell , makes it even more hypnotic

Fantastic image Grinde although please dont take this the wrong way but im also as impressed with the 10Micron mount. Wow thats a bit of kit, but then should be at around 12k, but hey thats what you need to pay for the brilliance of German engineering.

Yup, the price isn't cut for every wallet, but there's a smaller & cheaper version of the mount, the GM1000 HPs, the one I'm using is built for heavy instuments, which I'm planning to add when I find the "perfect" tube & can afford it. The smaller version is supposed to have the same pointing & tracking accuracy, just a smaller weight capacity. Right now my small takahashi looks like a joke on the mount, but I hope to change that for next season, maybe a big newt / astrograph, who knows. Btw, my kidneys are up on ebay if anyone's interested jk :icon_salut:

As per normal mate amazing image!

Did you add the stars as a separate layer? as anyone that has imaged this (myself included) know that the bottom star will try and take over, so really well done on the processing.

You must have really great skies! any chance of coming to yours for a holiday :)

Am I jealous? Hell yeah!:)

Clear skies mate,

Matt.

P.S. I've just been having a look around the larger image and there's some artifacts/misalignment on some of the stars (Those with a cyan halo/ outer edge?) is this through processing? Sorry to be picky but I've already said I'm jealous :):icon_salut:

Archived