Netspy7

Netspy7

Hi all im new to the site and astronomy.

our local school has opened an observatory and that has now got the whole Family started on this very educational and fun journey.

we only have a childs telescope at the minuite but are looking to buy an entry level one soon can anyone advise.

also can anyone suggest a good dark area around nottingham/derby the blumming orange lights are all around us here

thanks all

paul

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL.

If you look in the help for beginners section, in the primers and tutorial there is a post called Choosing a telescope and is well worth a read.

Can't help with the dark sites but i'm sure that someone will be along soon who can.

Really nice to hear the whole family are interested. So much more fun.

Enjoy yourselves.

Luke

Hi Paul, a big welcome to you and the family :)

If you are thinking of a very easy to use family friendly telescope, a Dobsonian could be the way to go.

I'm sure that there'll be a local group somewhere in your area. Maybe even the East Midlands Stargazers.

Cheers

Tim

Hi and welcome to SGL, I would recommend doing a bit of research into telescopes, and you will get plenty of advice on here for any scopes you shortlist. It wont be long til somebody suggests Sky-watcher dobsonians 150p and 200p. Depending on what you are looking for ie refractor/reflector/Maksutov etc. I think you get the most scope for your money with these 2 dobs, they cost £197 and £270 respectively from First Light Optics. Good luck.

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. I agree with Tim and Paul Schofield that the dobsonians are the way to go as they represent the best value for money and probably the easiest for children to use as their viewing position is more straightforward to access.

Clear skies

James

Archived