here by default

forestview

Hi I run a walkers accommodation in Northumberland we are usually quiet in the winter but the last year or two more and more people have been coming and bringing telescopes as I have got chatting to them their hobby seems to be catching. I have always loved looking at the night sky and enjoy sitting outside during meteor showers but have never gone any further into it. Now my local tourist group wants people to start astro tourism but I have no idea what people will want (apart from dark sky which we have got) I am not trying to sell anything what I want is advice about what I need to buy or will people bring their own? This forum is sucking me in I only came for a quick look and I have been here for 2 hours I am starting to see what fascinates people now.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most astro-tourists have their own scopes and would be happy to bring their own, especially if you made them feel welcome to.

If you genuinely are interested in astronomy yourself and would like to get a telescope and some eyepieces, you could share them and that would be wonderful--but I don't think it's worth the trouble unless you are committed to it yourself. There are certain things you have to do to keep a scope in good working order, and if you don't have the commitment to really understand these things, I think your scope would probably be out of collimation and not all that presentable much of the time.

If you think you would like to have a scope and some eyepieces yourself, post again in this string, and I'm sure people would be happy to recommend something. You'll find the best deals on the used equipment forums, and there's really no reason not to buy second hand equipment if its in good condition.

Will Petty

Thanks for that I am genuinely interested (a young man aged 9 who stayed with us sent me a link for stelarium to say thanks for a good stay) I am still finding new ways to use it and I in turn have sent links to it on to several other people. I have been reading the advice for beginners and if I decide to buy a scope I will certainly share it with anyone who shows an interest but I think some books are the first step.

Hi and welcome to SGL

A good book that has helped me is "Turn left at Orion" - I like the way it helps you to find intersting objects and also gives some idea of how good they might be depending on whether you use binoculars or newtonians etc. Actually, just having a pair of bins is a good place to start... :).

I guess as someone who stays in self-catering cottages on holiday, that a space outside to set up my tripod might be important - preferably a little distance from the house, so I can get a good view north to do a polar alignment (also I can't see north from where I live:)), and with clear views to south as well! I'd expect to bring my own scope/tripod etc, but a place to charge up a powertank might be useful for those who might bring motorised go-to type set-ups.

Anyway, you already have the most important thing that astronomers like - dark sky :) Now, if only you could guarantee clear skies.... .

Hi and welcome to the forum. You don't make it clear whether your clients are observing on your property or whether they are travelling on to an actual viewing point. If on your own property, it might be useful in the longer term to erect some type of roll on/off shed observatory that will allow people to set up their kit with a degree of protection from the winter winds as it increases the chill factor, as well as affording some protecting for the scope from being blown about too. Only a suggestion of course should this interest increase and of course in addition to the usual precaution of regulating stray white light that can spoil night vision.

Clear skies

James

Hi ...and welcome toSGL..

A popular area in amature astronomy these days is imaging with a variety of digital cameras and/or laptop computers, making access to a power supply really usefull.

Maybe providing external mains power outlets could be a good idea...

hi and welcome from me ,sounds like a great idea if the skies are jet black and miles from no where a big scope is not needed i use a 90mm refractor at home its a bit washed out .get it to a darksite and wow wee

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. The postman brought me a Planisphere yesterday and the sky was nice and frosty last night so I got to play with it bit rusty yet but practice makes perfect. I will leave it in the residents lounge and maybe someone else will use it and catch the bug. Joyce

Welcome Joyce.

If you plan to attract astro tourists then most would bring their own gear if you advertise for it.

Only thing I would suggest is some nice outdoors space, out of the wind and also sheltered from any light coming from your property. Must be safe though.

The rest you'll find out as you go :)

Also, you could do a lot worse than talking to Olly on here. Ok, he is in France but does what you want to do, cater for astronomers.

Cheers

Ian

A big welcome from me too :)

One of the best things you could offer to potential astro guests, would be a dark area free of lighting, concealed from street and road/traffic lights, with a level floor and clear trip hazard free area, and an electricty supply.

There is massive potential for you if you have the circumstances :)

One of the biggest issues that UK astronomers face is having somewhere safe to observe that has a dark sky.

I hope you are able to work something out.

Cheers

Tim

Archived