Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new guy in wisconsin here

rpmiller78

the astronomy bug hit me the other day. i am now saving(on seasonal layoff till spring) for an orion 8" dobsonian telescope. this seems to be a good starter telescope from what i've read. does anyone have any advise for astrophotography with this telescope? is the moon about all i will be able to get a picture of?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rpmiller.

You can use the Dob mounted scope for planerary & Lunar astrophotography, but will not be able to use it for long exposure deep sky objects.

Planetary & lunar photography is best done by taking a short video and stacking the individual frames. Many use webcams for this, although there are (more expensive) dedicated options.

You should be able to get decent images with an 8".

Welcome to the forums.

Hello and a warm welcome to SGL.

You will be able to find plenty of threads on the forums here dealing with astrophotography using the same kind of kit that you are looking at...

Have fun!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Imaging will be limited to planets and the moon with a dobsonian. If imaging is your ultimate destination, why not get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" which will help provide you with all the information on what you need and why you need it to take the kind of images that you're after. This is a great book that will help you establish a good grounding in the subject and will also help you formulate an accurate budget from the outset. Remember, that as well as 'capturing' the optical data, you will also need to process this data in order to create a decent final image. A lot of great software that you will need is thankfully free and great to use, but be aware that there are other useful processing 'tools' that you will need to pay for.

Clear skies in the meantime

James

Archived