Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sammy. I'd be up for some Perseid spotting if anyone's out.

Galloway last week was amazing, btw - even if only one night was clear enough for some telescope action! Also went up to the observatory to check it out - awesome site, though slightly unfriendly welcome (though they were about to close up for the day...). Definitely worth considering contacting them about a group visit, though.

Hey sorry to drop in I live in the Wakefield area and don't really know anybody into astronomy. I am actually new to the hobby myself I would love to come along with you guys and learn a few tricks and info with the masters ;)

Just got in from having a couple of hours up Winscarr, not bad views in the gaps between the clouds :grin:

Bit on the breezy side and the lights were on in the little building compound.

Managed to catch a fair few perseids.

Yes - I went up Sutton Bank last night with the family to watch the persieds. Got there about 11 and the sky was really dark and clear. The perseids were great. Some of them were so bright they lit up the sky leaving a smoky trail behind them. Superb. There were quite a few other persied watchers there, some with cameras and some other gear - I was a bit apprehensive about approaching in the dark to see if they were Wakefield SGL or WADAS guys.

It was a bit like picadilly circus as cassiopeia/perseus were in the direction of the road exiting from the car park so we had to contend with car headlights messing up dark adapted eyes. Trees on that side a bit high too. Where do you lads usually locate yourself up Sutton Bank?

Will anyone be out tonight around Bluuberhouses, N Yorks? I might venture out

Bit too far out of the way for me. Although if you keep your eye on this thread there'll soon be some off up to Sutton Bank which is just down the road

Hey sorry to drop in I live in the Wakefield area and don't really know anybody into astronomy. I am actually new to the hobby myself I would love to come along with you guys and learn a few tricks and info with the masters ;)

Feel free to join in. We're all still learning so don't worry about that!

I had a couple of hours in the back garden.Was quiet and apart from a few clouds I managed to count 57 persieds. Pretty good to say it wasn't dark skies.

Sorry to hear you had a wasted night crash I thought it might be a bit windy.

Destris and twilight welcome to the thread and group.Your more than welcome as Sammy says to join us,just keep an eye out for meets as they are arranged at short notice due to our glorious weather.

I hope the clouds clear for later

haha brilliant. Thanks guys. Hopefully the skies should be clear tonight I am probably going for a walk tonight around 11:30 ish theres a big open field with a big hill nobody ever goes their apart for the occasional dog walker. should have a great view hopefully. :)

Archived