Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all.

Finally got my scope today, a nice and shiny new Celestron CPC800 plus some other bits and pieces to go with it, I can't express in polite language how frustrating the wait was until I got paid at the end of July and be able to hand over the cash to get my eager paws on it.

Its a bit on the hefty side but it can certainly double up as an upper body workout to keep the obvious middle aged bloke + beer and pies symptoms at bay.

Absolutely teed off with the weather, I was in the back garden this afternoon getting the scope to sort out the GPS and star map update and cursing heavily at the wet fluffy stuff in the air.

I'm stuck on day shift this week which involves getting up at stupid O'clock in the morning and an earlier bedtime than I had when I was about 9 years old which means I cant really use it till the weekend, good news is that a trip to an old friends uncles farm above the river Usk is on the cards for the week after.

I've been there before a few times, apart from a little LP from Monmouth, you could plainly see the milky way by naked eye so I'm hoping that the weather will play ball and give me some observation time whilst I'm down there.

Desperately need some sort of flight case for the scope, Any suggestions other than that ridiculous plastic one for stupid money, or am I going to have to dust off my long unused joinery skills?

I'll have to let you know about the 9th soupy and like Jeremy said do hope its nothing serious.

I hate deliveries by the royal mail why can't they just take it to the nearest post office! So I can sympathise crash.

MrFinster congratulations on the new scope I hope the weather is going to get better too as I've a new eye piece to try out!

I ended up making a box for my scope which is hefty but bomb proof.Take a look on my content if you need some ideas?

Kieran I'll get a look at your most recent images soon look forward to seeing them ;-)

Woke early this morning at 4am and got my first look at Jupiter rising in the north eastern skies and also the pliedes.

Managed to aim just the ota out the window and an amazing sight as always with the 4 Galilean moons clearly visible!

Back to bed for an hour then before getting up to be unappreciated at work again (moan!)

I may be up for a night next week rich.I also think my ota was either warm or I'll have to Collimate my scope as Jupiter was blurry in my new 17mm eye piece?

M103 is a nice shot Kieran which one of your scopes were you using?

115mm ED Triplet Apo Russ M103 was just a close crop I actually got 3 different clusters in FOV, I just cropped it so it goes down in my Messier Catologe will upload full versions later.

Great images Kieran, you are doing brilliantly and now you got the guiding sorted the images are pin sharp :grin:

nice set up there Finster lets hope the cloud gods are kind and stay away so you can get a good first light soon.

Not good you got blurry images Damian, but I am sure a man of your calibre can sort it out! I have to have an op on my throat which will put me out of action for two weeks, but should be straight forward enough I hope :eek:

also away to the lakes this Saturday for a week so can't be out observing until after the middle of August, but hoping for some clear skies up there to get some good perseids :grin: and happy birthday for Thursday Kieran,

Cheers Paul and hope all goes ok with your throat.

Yeah the images are coming on nicely now I did about 130mins on the Fireworks Galaxy last night so looking forward to processing that, still waiting on this Cannon 60da was hoping it would be here for the weekend but looking doubtful also got my eye on more equipment so more saving in order.

Cheers Paul and hope all goes ok with your throat.

Yeah the images are coming on nicely now I did about 130mins on the Fireworks Galaxy last night so looking forward to processing that, still waiting on this Cannon 60da was hoping it would be here for the weekend but looking doubtful also got my eye on more equipment so more saving in order.

110% clouds here and ive seen 2 different forcasts,one clear midnight on and one part-mostly cloudy so dont think i will bother.after the weekend the weather isnt forcast very good for a few weeks although by then the moon wont be helpful but need to get out and sort settings for the new eyepieces in the paracorr and sort the counterbalance out as its not perfect at the moment.had a brainwave for maximising observing which i will share later when i upload pics :)

It's cloudy here Kieran but clearing by the looks of it so I may try and get the scope out and have a go?, good images and you've also been getting out quite a bit too.

Unfortunately I've not had much time been concentrating on my cycling and working 7-3 which doesn't give me much time.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Paul and hope crash and my thought's about a warm scope are correct and its not my new eye piece that's at fault?

got out for half an hour before the clouds rolled in and stopped play!!!! bit disappointed with the new 17mm delos up to now as I seem to be getting lots of kidney beaning? i'll probably get more practice in and it will come good so fingers crossed for some clear skies!

same here damian,managed 30 minutes before the clouds rolled in.did get first light with the eyepieces thougg.had to remove one of the spacer plates on my moonlite base to get focus in the 20mm es 100 degree and tbh im not sure i need a paracorr as now ive cleaned my mirror stars look much better <shrugs>.sure when i get out to a dark site with plenty more stars i can make a better assumption.

Archived