Narrowband

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, long time no speak! I'm ashamed to say I haven't had a scope or binos pointed skywards for months. Until the other week. I have been spoiled by the dark skies in North Devon while away camping and that has reinvigorated me. The week before the perseids peak I was watching 10-15 per hour! First time I have seen the streak of the milky way too. Stunning. I got the binos out past night to have a good look at the old moon and managed to find the nova in del. Do you guys still meet in Horbury? Are you an official society yet!?

Hi all,

We should be able to get quite a few together for a good meet the next time we're out, and the wakefield area group thread seems to be moving at quite a pace now!

I managed a couple of hours out with the scope on the garden and viewed M27(dumbbell), M71, M31, the nova in Delphinius and NGC6905(Blue flash) which is quite close by. All done with the star charts, which took me quite a while getting my eye back in after so much time off the scope!!

The clouds did eventually spoil the fun with a lot of high hazy stuff rolling in and the moon bouncing its light off that washed the sky out :mad:

I'm hopeful for tonight although by the looks of it there will be no chance due to our great weather

Welcome back Mark, I think we're looking at an inaugural meeting to officially kickstart the society in October, think we have a meeting in September to iron out some final things beforehand. So with the recent activity on the thread things are looking promising.

Tried to find the nova with the naked eye last night as I was at some pretty dark skies near the in-laws. Failed miserably, found the constellation but couldn't tell if I'd found the nova as I still haven't bought any bins (really should get that sorted).

On a more annoying note my 3yo got hold of my telrad finder, which is now broken. So have to buy a new one, ah well....:mellow:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Jeremy i think soupy had mentioned the 9th of September for the next meeting.

The nova is nearer sagitta than delphinius and I was looking in the wrong place at first until I found a star chart pointing it out! Easy to find after that especially with the star charts I have.

Just back from Wales, had a good nights observing on tuesday, wednesday and thursday were atrocious with the wet stuff.

Friday was ridiculously sunny and i got to witness sundogs, well one of them at least, the diffraction only happened on the left side, the right side appeared briefly but only after the cirrus cloud moved across in front of the sun.

Friday night was excellent, well it was when the moon finally dropped behind the mountain. Managed to get my first look at 5 planets and it was pretty exciting stuff for me as its still all new to me.

Tried not using the goto function and instead, using stellarium and the ocular view function to give me NSEW and position i found it quite tricky.

Maths is most definately some sort of sorcery which I am unable to grasp at all, Ah well! never mind.

Did see a greenish meteor trail from SSE to NNW on friday at about 0030'ish quite spectacular as the trail lingered for a couple of seconds, a bit prettier than the yellowy orange ones. :laugh:

Don't think I will be able to make sept meeting as I'm thinking of going to the Astrocamp in the dark skies of Wales if anybody interested in going let me know ASAP.

So if it would be poss to change meeting that would be great as I missed last meeting and would like to be there

Glad you had a good Wales trip Mr Finster

I'm doing the P.S.P. in Oct and the G.S.P. in Nov and want to make the next meet if I can in September Kieran so I'll not be able to make it.

I'm working tomorrow night but as usual its looking like a great night which I hope those that can take advantage will.

Tonight has quite a bit of patchy cloud might be worth a couple of scope hours although I've a big mountain bike ride at 9am planned so need some sleep.

Now then fellas, just back from hols. Hope everyone is doing well, sounds like you are anyway!

Some great images there Kieran keep it up, and welcome to the newbies, as said already feel free to come join us all at anytime and join the new society as well :grin: .

was trying to schedule the next meet for 9th Sept. if not good for people do we want to do it the week before? If so let me know so I can book the room in the next week to ensure we can get it no problem, would be good to have as many as possible.

Archived