SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forecast don't look that great for tonight but tomoz night is looking good.

Hoping to get out myself, maybe over either Meltham moors or Holme Moss way tomorrow if the weather plays nicely.

just got back from kielder - and all i can say is WOW!

paid for an evening with gary at the obsy and played with his 16" sct and 20" dob - all powered by ultra wide type 6 naglers. sky was unbelevable. you can see galaxies with the naked eye and the milky way was like a white spray across the sky! and the shooting stars....

i then got an invite back the nxt night, freeby!!! to play again, but obviusly without all the other punters. i saw the viel nebula!!!!!!! never seen anything like it and probably never again ( well till next summer) as a bright splash - and i mean bright -across the 32mm ep. it was a-m-a-z-i-n-g

gary is brilliant, showed me stuff i hadnt seen before and more imoortaantly stuff you cant see if smaller scopes in polluted skies. got tto see galaxies impossible to see anywhere else in uk, aand detail in galaxies we all know and love in such massivee detail its just impossible to convay in words.

unbelievable

Sounds very nice up at kielder Nick and just shows how much you can see given dark skies and a large aperture!

I was out last night only for an hour looking for the persieds and counted 6, two of which where as bright as the ISS as they streaked across the skies. Hoping to get out tonight if the weather is kind!

First light through my new toy last night, had a good break in the clouds towards the west so I caught the crescent moon which looked quite pretty. Saw the ISS hurtle past quite by chance, i looked up for some reason and there it was.

Managed to catch a couple of the perseids as well.

Had a little frustration with the gps linking but not updating the time, had to manually enter the time but managed to get scope aligned OK

I'm presuming that the scope has to be told its in the UK before it can use the gps info properly. Given the LP levels of my front garden due to the ridiculously tall new lamposts, I was impressed with what i could see on a 40 mm EP

Observed a few Messier list clusters and a couple of double stars, loads of newbie excitement of actually seeing things with my own eyes at long last. Definately going up the moors if the showery stuff goes away.

Was a bit too tired to wait for jupiter but I'm in south Wales next week for a few days up in the hills so I hope to get a good view of it later on.

First light through my new toy last night, had a good break in the clouds towards the west so I caught the crescent moon which looked quite pretty. Saw the ISS hurtle past quite by chance, i looked up for some reason and there it was.

Managed to catch a couple of the perseids as well.

Had a little frustration with the gps linking but not updating the time, had to manually enter the time but managed to get scope aligned OK

I'm presuming that the scope has to be told its in the UK before it can use the gps info properly. Given the LP levels of my front garden due to the ridiculously tall new lamposts, I was impressed with what i could see on a 40 mm EP

Observed a few Messier list clusters and a couple of double stars, loads of newbie excitement of actually seeing things with my own eyes at long last. Definately going up the moors if the showery stuff goes away.

Was a bit too tired to wait for jupiter but I'm in south Wales next week for a few days up in the hills so I hope to get a good view of it later on.

Glad you had a good session and managed to get everything working as it's sometimes the worst bit!

If the weather clears I may venture up to winscarr for a couple of hours so your quite welcome to pop along.

Damian

Glad you had a good session and managed to get everything working as it's sometimes the worst bit!

If the weather clears I may venture up to winscarr for a couple of hours so your quite welcome to pop along.

Damian

Will be going up there to have a look whats occurring cloud wise in a bit.

It's quite cloudy at present but the worst thing is the amount of wind.

Tried to view before with Nick90 up there and after a couple of hours of trying we packed it in as a bad job :-(

I'll probably pack the gear in the car and be up there about half 9

Total cloud over here so no chance of any viewing sorry to say :-(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow night and some clear skies so may venture up to winscarr tomorrow night if it looks good

Archived