Narrowband

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a teacher my grammar and spelling were appauling there good job I dont teach English! I did mean meeting :-)

Oh by the way did you all get to see Mercury, Venus and Saturn this morning? If not pray for clear skies over the next few days and get out early 6.10 onwards till sunrise should enable you to see Bright Venus and Saturn above with Mercury rising soon after.

If not check me at @horburyastro, posted this mornings view.

Soupy: thanks for tipoff re PowerTalk. Miffht just have to get one.

Sammy: I bought the upgrade order the EQ5. How do you power yours if you're away from mains (I have a 12v mains-powered supply, but obviously it only works from near a socket!). Can the mount be powered from a car's 12v accessory socket?

Got the all clear for Parker Road playing fields, but have to liaise with caretaker to have the gates open and closed. He finishes at 10 pm so might have to finish by then ourselves if not I will ask him how we are fixed for a few mins more.

But something is better than nothing. Not sure what the viewing will be like as never used there before but it must be worth a try at least! :-)

Nice one, Soupy! I'll be there sometime after 8pm (can't get there sooner, alas). Will bring my scope if I can get a powertank before then. Unless it can be powered from the car? Or maybe that's a bad idea.... I suppose I can reattach the fine control knobs if need be and do it old school by hand :-)

Can we drive down to the playing fields? It would make transporting equipment easier.

Steve - I run an RCD protected extension cable through a window in the conservatory.

I've only ever observed from home so I've not needed to think about a power supply. Mine did come with a 12v car adapter though. I could bring that?

We can drive to the bottom of California Drive and get to the fields through the gates which I will get opened. there is a carpark just inside and off loading kit to fields should not be too much trouble.

I will ask to see if we can access changing rooms for power (bring long extension lead just in case) but not hopeful. So if you have a powertank or hand controlls bring those as a probable back up!

My electrical knowledge isn't great.... But I do know that people have had problems with power supplies that don't give out at least 2 Amps. That seems to be really important.

But I've just realised: what you've linked to there will turn a 12V car battery into a normal 3-pin mains socket, into which we could then plug our 12V power supply for the scope! Ingenious, and would work, I'm sure.

What I'm wondering, though, is if the scope would get enough amps directly from the car accessory socket, without first going through the sort of thing Mark's just linked us to. And I'm afraid that's where my electrical knowledge dries up very rapidly....!

But thanks for the link, Mark - looks good.

I don't know pub, so if some of you wanna meet at the pub then make your way down the fields they are at the bottom of California Drive just off the main road Northfield Lane, opposite school. It is a big blue building can't miss it. Postcode for California Drive is WF4 5JW just go right to the bottom and through the gates.

I'll be there, probably around 9pm. I guess it might not be worth bringing my scope after all as by the time it's set up it'll nearly be time to go (if we have to be out of the fields by 10pm???). Maybe I'll shove it in the boot anyway....

Either way, I'll be there!

Archived