Evening

RogerK

And a cloudy one as well. Recently joined this forum for the usual reasons. We are sailing people mainly but as the boat is now a ways away and we won't be down there much this year we thought it would be a good idea to develop another hobby.

Obviously, a telescope and small boat won't mix but I intend to get some binoculars for stargazing on the boat. The ships ones are 7x50 which is the ideal type for picking navigational purposes. Are these going to be OK for looking at things like the moon?

Regards

Roger

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Roger, welcome to SGL. Yes, the binoculars will be fine for the moon, and will also be ok for some star clusters. You will see Jupiter (as a bright disc) and probably some of it's moons (as tiny dots), so not too bad to keep you interested. It's always best to start with binoculars anyway, I reckon :icon_scratch:

Welcome, and I am also starting with a pair of 10 x 50 binoculars I had lying around. I bought a mount for them and stuck them on a photography tripod, which stopped the shakes. Then I bought a couple of books. I figure this will do me for a year or so.

Hi Roger and welcome to SGL, the range of bins 7x50 to 10x50 are what is recommended in general, with the larger pair being more popular because of the extra magnification. I see our Science officer Mr Spock has mentioned stabilisation bins, these were reviewed in the current issue of S@N, very nice indeed if you have deep pockets :icon_scratch:

Hi and welcome, Roger!

I started with a pair of cheap 10x42s - kept me going for a while, until I got the telescope bug after Stargazing Live :icon_scratch:.

Frankly with the cloudy weather recently, I've had more use out of the bins. I keep them by the door for when there are quick breaks in the cloud... .

Archived