Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Crowhurst East Sussex

Jacqui_100

Hello all,

I am moving back to East Sussex shortly, but am yet to purchase my first telescope. From what I have read on the internet I am looking at possibly a Meade ETX 105 or 125...any thoughts?

I suppose I want it for general viewing but definetely for photography as I have a Canon EOS 400, which I think is decent enough...any help and advice is very welcome...

Many, many thanks...Jacqui

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jacqui and welcome to the forum. If you want to do mostly observing, your money would be better spent on a dobsonian type scope as this will provide more aperture, which in turn will mean you can collect more light and therefore resolve better detail. The goto facility is great on the ETX but won't mean much if it points to an object that you can hardly see. With regard to imaging, the alt-azimuth mount (scope moves in the horizontal and vertical axis) though intuitive to use, will be of little use to image deep sky objects like galaxies and nebula (DSO's) because the tracking movements that will be required to perform long exposures, will show up on the final image. These objects require a precise motorised equatorial mount that is not cheap. However, imaging planets and the moon requires very little exposure time as they are nearer and brighter and so any type of mount can be used. However, you will need to use a webcam and not your camera because you will want to take as many 'frames' from which to select the best to help you construct a composite image. Earth's 30 miles of atmosphere is too turbulent to capture images through it using one frame (unless extremely lucky when you press the shutter) hence the webcam.

Personally I would hold fire on buying anything, wait to see what other comments you receive before doing some further research. Observing is fairly straightforward but imaging is not, with quite a steep learning curve in the shorter term. Of course a budget should include all that is required regarding capturing the data but don't forget that processing is the other half of the equation if you want to produce good results. Luckily a lot of great programs can be downloaded free but of course there are some that are not. Take your time to formulate a realistic budget and you will be assured good results.

I wouldn't want to put you off any area of interest within astronomy and is why I am attempting to be as realistic as possible with the imaging side. Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO 19.95) would be a great book to get you off to a flying start. No need to rush, "...as the stars aren't going anywhere" and there is also a "search" button at the top to research past questions and replies.

Clear skies

James

Archived