NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where do you keep yours?

AstroMum

I see that one of the biggest gripes our partners have is where our kit will be stored.

I'm intending to keep mine in our dining room as it's only used for special occasions. As a bonus, we don't bother putting the heating on in there, so it won't need to cool down so much when I take it outside.

So, where do you all keep your equipment and what does your other half or family think about it?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine used to sit in the living room up one corner. But then it stayed in the garage. As the garage became full, the mount stayed outside - with weatherproofing measures - and the 8inch newt just sat in the garage. My new scope - a 4.3 inch catadioptric - sits in its case in my bedroom. The mount stays with it, also, and will eventually fold down and live in my cupboard.

I've not had my gear long, but, at the mo it's all sat behind the couch in my living room, in a large bay window.

That's the mount, scope and a case of eyepieces and extras.

The Mrs seems pretty happy with it there so far.

Though the window looks out over a park... so when the police come knocking I may end up moving it ;-)

It used to live under the stairs, and was brought out through the dining room to the french windies at the back. but then the understairs cupboard was used for 'other stuff' (deck chairs, etc!) so it tends to live by the french windies these days - tripod at min hieight, with both mirrors as shiny side down as possible - helps with de-dewing when coming in, and dust prevention when cloudy (ie 90% of the year :icon_salut:)

As for where to store a kit, the following should be taken into consideration:

A place free of dust or lint (Garage good - bedroom bad)

A place free of cooking fumes (Kitchen or open rooms to it bad - living room/den with door to kitchen closed most of the time good but if a fire place or smokers are frequently active, bad)

If the kit has to be stored inside the house, store it vertically with the mirror down and covered with a plastic garbage bag that will reach down under the mirror end to seal out dust and rodents. Then store it in a closet with a closed door.

A storage area outside the house is OK if it's out of the dirt laden wind, rain, fog or snow. An outside tool shed is best if closed up with no chemicals stored in it. Garages are OK if autos are not run in it more than the time it takes to drive it in and out (exhaust emmisions are not good for mirror/optical surfaces).

The best place to store it is out in front of your house under a bright street light. In a short time it will be gone and no longer a problem!!!

My kit is stored on a weight-balanced plinth, which is at the end of a booby-trapped floor with poisonous darts mounted in the surrounding walls, just beyond the pitfall and giant boulder. Oh, and watch out for the natives.

I would never store anything of value under my bed, ever. Twice have I been resting on my bed to be awoken by the fact that the slats had collapsed and I had plummeted to the floor below, with said slats, hitting and damaging many objects under my bed!

Mine is in a brick built shed at the bottom of the garden, it is child free and the way I see it is that it isnt an ornament but a tool to use, so when skies are clear it gets lugged out of the shed and job done.

Must admit it is pretty fine looking though :icon_salut:

Jonathan - Nice! I'll remember to stay clear of your house if I ever visit the area! Do you have a moat around your house filled with ravenous fish, water snakes, etc.? It would be a nice final touch!

I keep my 8" DOB in a cheap 3'6" x 2' tool shed positioned just outside the back door. I keep a cover, chair, hairdryer etc in there as well, but nothing else so it's clean. It has the advantage that there are no problems with cooling down. And I can have it out & in action in minutes !

Peter

mine is currently basking in the cool of the conservatory covered with a cloth and the bag of 'stuff' is kept closed to protect the lenses. having a scope is a bit like having young kids... take it out and there is soo much **** that has to go along with you. saying that, its nice to have a bag of lenses and motor than nappies and wipes :icon_salut:

A place free of dust or lint (Garage good - bedroom bad)

You can tell you are in the states.:icon_salut: your garage doors fit over there.

Most garages over here are dirty dusty places that no-one in there right mind would put a scope in. With the way most garage doors here fit it's pretty impossible to keep them dust free.

Far better of in the bedroom here.

Regards Steve

My dob sits quietly in a shady corner of our conservatory. We hardly use it and the kids don't go in there so it's ideal, and the door opensout onto the patio so it's a simple job to get it out ready to observe :icon_salut:

Mine lives in a purpose built box by the front door. When the clouds break I can lift the whole lot out into the garden (front or back) and everything is to hand. Takes less than 5 mins to set up. The box is really useful when I go up to the highest point of the moors. Makes a good seat too.:icon_salut:

Archived