Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece Upgrade - Can't Decide!

Pugnut

I want to upgrade from the std sw eps. The 25mm isn't too bad but the 10mm is **** - I usually barlow the 25 x 3 instead of using the 10. The previous owner had replaced the std 2x barlow with a meade 3x, which I find ok, though this being my first scope I have nothing to compare it to.

I've spent many hours trawling through the huge amount of useful information on this site:glasses13: & compiled a shopping list based on opions & my budget.

Lens case - £21, ebay

Filter set - £25, various

TAL 2x barlow - £45, anywhere that actually has them in stock!

8mm BST explorer - £41, skies the limit

GSO 32mm PV plossl £50, pulsar optical

Total price - £172 :D

Those lenses along with the barlows would give me a full range of magnifications, from 23.4x up to 281x !

I was going to buy that stuff then I spotted this First Light Optics - Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

It contains all the items on the list plus 3 extra eps & a t-adaptor for around £140 inc delivery! The money saved can buy a cheshire collimator which I also need.:D

The 32mm ep is the same but I'm concerned that the barlow might not be as good, though nobody seems to have the TAL barlows in stock.:) Anyone used these GSO barlows?

I realise that the GSO plossls may not be as good as a BST, but I can always sell off the ones I don't use & buy a BST later. They seem to make around £20 on ebay so sell 2 & get a BST.:)

So I need some opinions & advice from you folks - what would you do? Do you see any holes in my reasoning? Will the GSO's work ok in a F5 scope?

Thanks in advance.:)

i think its cheaper to buy your own /make a lens case. buy gear second hand also.

theres a couple of bst's on the buy and sell site for £30 each.

you'll get a tal barlow for around £20 used .

it all adds up and saves you money.

as for gso's, im unsure,you'd need the advice from someone who's actually used them.

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell=

std sw eps.

Excellent way of describing them :)

Some people say the revelation kit works great for them. Others prefer to avoid kits and buy quality eyepieces one at a time, especially on faster scopes - your mileage may vary. I've generally heard nothing but good things about GSO optics, but sadly don't know about their Plossl performance in faster scopes. Hopefully someone else will be of more help.

If you are on a budget the revelation kit will keep you ging for a very long time, I've had one. The eyepieces it is rummoured (on here more times than I care to remember) to be rebranded Meade 4000 jobs. If they are or they aren't they are still decent plossils, nobody disputes that, they are made by the same firm in any case, "GSO". People do like kits, no doubt about it, loads of em are flogged every year, by that rationale you should be able to make most of your money back on ebay later on.

I have just bought 4 BST's only last night so I'll let you know if they are worth the extra few quid through a 4 inch fl10 refractor.

I used to own a Meade 4000 series set and found them really good. Where abouts are you in Fermanagh Pugnut? I have relatives in Belcoo and whenever i visit we head out to a viewpoint at the base of Culcaith (forgive the spelling!) mountain, really dark location there.

i think its cheaper to buy your own /make a lens case. buy gear second hand also.

theres a couple of bst's on the buy and sell site for £30 each.

you'll get a tal barlow for around £20 used .

it all adds up and saves you money.

as for gso's, im unsure,you'd need the advice from someone who's actually used them.

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell=

There's one less now. :)

Russell

Thanks for the links. Like the look of that meade set, though I don't think the 40mm will be much use to me at only x18! I'll be keeping an eye on those auctions!:)

I used to own a Meade 4000 series set and found them really good. Where abouts are you in Fermanagh Pugnut? I have relatives in Belcoo and whenever i visit we head out to a viewpoint at the base of Culcaith (forgive the spelling!) mountain, really dark location there

I live 35m away, at the opposite end of the county, near Crom Estate. Let me know when you're over again, we could meet up at Cuilcagh for some stargazing. Going to take a drive into the estate some clear night as there should be some good dark skies in there.

Thanks so far, keep the advice coming.

Lens case - £21, ebay

Filter set - £25, various

TAL 2x barlow - £45, anywhere that actually has them in stock!

8mm BST explorer - £41, skies the limit

GSO 32mm PV plossl £50, pulsar optical

Total price - £172 :)

Maplins do a large flight case which they often have on offer for £19.99. Most members have one http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-eyepieces/95026-show-me-your-eye-piece-cases.html

Filter sets are a waste of money. All you really need is a moon filter and maybe a LPR filter of some sort at a later date (UHC, LPR, OIII)

TAL Barlows are very well respected and said to offer value for money but more so respected is the Televue x2 barlow which often come up S/H for £50-£55

BST Explorers work well in fast scopes but I found the longer focal lengths showed more aberrations and it depends on personal preference to how much this would bother you. http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/167482-finally-bst-firm.html

GSO / Revelation are an affordable eyepiece and of a plossl design. They will show significant improvement over the modified achromatic eyepieces that came with your scope but aberration will be more so noticeable in the outer 15-20% when used in a fast scope. It is also worth considering exit pupil when purchasing an eyepiece. Many observers keep to a maximum EP exit pupil of 6-6.5mm but in younger people this can be slightly higher.

The Revelation EP kit is excellent value for money and allows the opportunity to connect a DSLR camera to your scope for imaging. If you have no expectations then the EP's will keep you occupied for sometime until you decide on an upgrade of those EP's you find yourself grabbing most often.

HTH

I've used several Meade 4000, the 32mm and 6.4mm Plössls, and a 24.5mm SWA. The SWA had a little astigmatism aroung the edges but the two Plössls are very sharp. I still have the 32mm.

I never use filters :D

The Tal Barlow is excellent for the money and BST Explorers seem to be gaining a good reputation though I've never used one.

The GSO Revelation plossls compare very well with Meade 4000s. I have both types, though I do prefer the GSOs. The views are just as good but the GSOs have a retaining groove on the barrel, which I like to use, whilst the Meades don't. I like the kits as they are an upgrade over the supplied EPs, give a range of focal lengths suitable for a wide range of targets/viewing conditions, and give you a good idea which EPs you use the most so you know which ones you might want to upgrade in the future.

I got a modification of the GSO Revelation eyepiece kit when it was sold by Pulsar Optical before Christmas. Didn't have the filters in, but I had filters already.

The eyepieces are good value for money, and give good views. It is nice to have everything in a box that you'll need for observing.

Yes, you'll probably want to get other eyepieces in the future - say BSTs, but it'll keep you going for a long while whilst you save up and explore other options.

I would recommend the GSO kit to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late but thanks for all the help & advice. The general opinion seemed to be that the Revelation set is quite a good starter set so I ordered one on Tuesday!:p

They are available from at least 7 online dealers & the price seems to be around £125 from most, so it was the delivery charge that would decide where I would buy. A lot of places offer free delivery but as I'm from Northern Ireland that doesn't apply.:D I e-mailed them all to check what the P&P charges to NI would be. There was a big variation in charges, 2 companies didn't even bother to answer & one doesn't deliver to NI.:)

These are my results-

FLO £125+£22=£147

Green Witch £130+£12=£142

Telescope House £126+£5=£131

Rother Valley £125+£20=£145

Harrisons & F1 Telescopes- too lazy to answer e-mails:mad:

Scopes & Skies- think the Irish Sea is 5000 miles across!

Needless to say that I ordered from Telescope House. They were pleasant to deal with over the phone & I can check the progress of my delivery online.

FLO should really look into his carriage charges to NI as he was the most expensive!

Just ordered a set of Revelation eps from eBay for £99 and free postage. The set is used and only comes with the moon filter, which is fine as I have filters anyway - but like most people don't really use them very often!

Ive gone for this set for use in my scopes at an astro outreach event I will be involved in soon as Im a little wary of taking my usual eps which I do not want to wander off for whatever reason - hope im just being a little paranoid here!! Anyway it'll be interesting to see how they perform compared to my set listed below!

Doc

A bit late but thanks for all the help & advice. The general opinion seemed to be that the Revelation set is quite a good starter set so I ordered one on Tuesday!:p

They are available from at least 7 online dealers & the price seems to be around £125 from most, so it was the delivery charge that would decide where I would buy. A lot of places offer free delivery but as I'm from Northern Ireland that doesn't apply.:D I e-mailed them all to check what the P&P charges to NI would be. There was a big variation in charges, 2 companies didn't even bother to answer & one doesn't deliver to NI.:)

These are my results-

FLO £125+£22=£147

Green Witch £130+£12=£142

Telescope House £126+£5=£131

Rother Valley £125+£20=£145

Harrisons & F1 Telescopes- too lazy to answer e-mails:mad:

Scopes & Skies- think the Irish Sea is 5000 miles across!

Needless to say that I ordered from Telescope House. They were pleasant to deal with over the phone & I can check the progress of my delivery online.

FLO should really look into his carriage charges to NI as he was the most expensive!

I agree that some of the mainland retailers put the arm in when shipping to across the Irish Sea. I am surprised that Flo are the most expensive though. Most of the items i've bought from them have been delivered free.

Most items from FLO are delivered free but heavier items like an eyepiece set are £22!

Have to edit my last post. It wasn't Scopes & Skies who won't deliver to NI, it was Harpers Photographic. Misread my own notes.:D Would any mods please change my post.

Archived