Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Packing up for the night

umadog

:)

Yeah... We'd been there since 18:30. There was cloud coming in and out but we got some good viewing even though transparency often wasn't great. Then we got hit by quite a persistent patch of cloud around 23:00. We called it a night at 23:30 and just as we started packing up it cleared. The one hour drive and having to work next day decreases my tolerance for intermittent cloud.

That's a beautiful picture. Just a long enough exposure to capture some movement on the ground, short enough to keep the stars as spots of light, or is it a few images stacked together?

The warm glow from the light polution just sets it off I think, giving some depth to it making the trees stand out. Lovely :)

I should be clear again that the image wasn't taken by me, it was taken by an observing buddy. I think it's a single exposure. We're on Long Island; from this spot, to the south there's more or less nothing but the Atlantic ocean, so it's pretty dark in that direction. A lot of the LP from the SW comes from a boat yard (that's what those lights are) but also towns on the island. The north (not visible) is light polluted because of Connecticut. It's probably about Bortle 4.5 overall.

Archived