Hello all from Portsmouth

Ultrapenguin

Hi all, I am a re-enfused astronomer after being completly put off this hobby in my early years by the gift of an Astral prince 40mm telescope (it really was useless) pretty collours though, sadly no images of what it was pointed at. Anyway with renewed interest and a very tight budget, i have purchased a 70mm refractor on a German EQ mount. Its a Bresser scope (not the Lidl model) this one has a proper EQ mount. Anyway I am not expecting too much from this scope although i have already been able to see Jupiter and 4 moons and even make out some bands across the disk. I took some very amature pics that show just a disk with a biege colour but i am working on a webcam for the scope. As for me, i am an engineering manager and have been a keen engineer all my life, others projects of mine included a Jet engine which i built in my garden workshop. Now my plan is to revisit astronomy and maybe build some equipment for digital imaging so any advice would be welcome.

I am however a keen believer in dont spend money, build it yourself!

Hi all, and many thanks for the warm welcome. I bet you get a lot more clear skys up north Jules, being on the south coast I get far too many misty foggy nights :) (I know Rimor too) I used to be a GEC man, these days i have moved away from the defence industry to a more sedate role although i still get to travel around the world a bit. As for a jet engined mount, interesting idea but the noise might disturb the neigbours...

Archived