Taken the Plunge

billbrownlie

After many years of thinking about it and a long time reading about it I've gone and got myself a telescope. Well actually my wife has ordered me one for my Birthday in March.

Its a Skywatcher Explorer 200PDS on an EQ5 mount.

So where do I begin. I'll need to look at what essential extras I'll need first. Will want to connect my Sony camera gear up to it and develop my knowledge of Astro-photography and may think about joining a club. Will need to look into what clubs are available in and around Edinburgh.

About me, I'm about to hit the big 60. Hoping to retire soon but still working as a consultant electrical engineer. Kids are all grown up but will look to interest my grandson in the hobby if he shows any interest.

Long term hobbys of Photography and RC Model Aircraft and Helicopters. Recently took up caravanning which is where the bug grew from for this new enterprise, walking round dark campsites with my dog thinking wouldn't it be good to know what I was looking at.

Anyway thats enough, looking forward to joning in on your forum

Bill

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum. One essential piece of imaging kit might be to get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will set you off in the correct direction. It comprehensively tells you what you need and why you need it to create the kind of imaging that you aspire towards. Will certainly provide you with the necessary overview to help you formulate the correct budget from the beginning.

Clear skies

james

Hi and welcome to the forum, you have a nice scope on the way, if you get a single axis RA motor kit for 75 pounds to track with the Earths rotation, and a T-ring and adaptor for about 15-20 pounds to attach your DSLR to the scope, you will be able to take 30 second exposures after a good polar allignment, then if you download Deep Sky Stacker for free you will be able to stack lots of 30 second exposures to bring out detail on deep space objects. I'm doing this with the same mount and its lots of fun, be warned though Astrophotography is highly addictive :) have Fun :)

Archived