Hello from Basingstoke

heathen666

Hi,

I’ve totally inspired by Stargazing recently shown on BBC, I’ve been always been curious about our night sky but have never really done anything more apart from the occasional photo of the moon. Time for that to change!!

As of yet, I don’t have a telescope but do have a Canon 60d..

Cheers

Neil

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil

you need to get on dopwn to Basingstoke AS on Thursday for their regular monthly meeting and some observing help.

Meets at Cliddesden village school south of Basingstoke at 7.30

Hope this helps. I might even be there. There are other SGLers there.

Mike

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum. Skybadger's recommendation is a great idea to get yourself bedded into astronomy. Many clubs can make equipment available to borrow which is a good idea because it will help you establish what type and size of scope you might want in the future to satisfy your expectations. To further assist you in your own learning, may I suggest you have a look at this free bit of software called Stellarium, you can find it here. Lots of features to play with and to keep you busy when those pesky clouds roll in! Will help you find things and to identify what you are looking at. Also has an advance date/time feature which will help you anticipate what and when a chosen objects will appear. Especially useful if your view off the sky is obstructed in any way. Hope that helps.:)

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the friendly welcome! I'll head down to Basingstoke AS on 9/2 which is their next meeting to get some advice. As for software, I've got sky chart on my tablet which looks quite good. I'll get out and try it once I've got over this flu.

Cheers

Neil

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Archived