Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from essex

Lyrated

Hello All

I am a complete noob and novice when it comes to the sky :)

Abit about me: I am a typical 28 year old guy loves my little boy and the gym and too play poker. I have never done anything like this before so i thought time to try new things.

I watched the star gazing live last year on the BBC and i found it amazing. I did nothing about it until the show come back on a few nights ago.

So I looked around at some kit to buy but i have no clue, so thought i would find some people who can hopefully help out :)

Anyway enough of my rambling peace out

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Lyrated and welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledge here to assist you in making sense of all the kit out there, some brilliant, most of it really good and the occasion spanner. Part of the answer will depend on the kind of budget you have and what you want to look at (...if you're like me you will say EVERTHING!:)) The Stargazing Live events are also continuing in various locations including the weekend, so it might be worth checking out your local astro club or observing group to see what they have planned. It's the best way of getting to look through lots of different kit and what they will reveal for you (...a bit tricky in the shop) and more importantly, for you to be able to decide what size and type of scope will best suit your own expectations.

In the meantime you might want to play about with this free piece of planetary software called Stellarium and can be viewed here. This will show you how to locate and identify objects in the night sky and will certainly keep you entertained during those cloudy nights. A great way to learn the sky but of course not quite the same as being out there!

Clear skies

James

Hey Guys thanks for the replies and I am chuffed at the great advise already,

My aim is to take up photography as a hobby and star gazing since watching bbc last few nights. As for cash I can stretch to around £500 hoping that can get me a good starter kit.

Also i have emailed a local club called castle point astronomy club based in rayleigh, and find out if there is anything local I can check out.

The software looks good and just need figure it out and have a go lol.

Thanks again

Chris

Welcome to SGL Chris. As you have found there is a wealth of info and advice on here. The best i can give is get down to castle point ( i see you've mailed them) and I'm sure you'll not only get even more useful advice but also and more importantly get to try out a few scopes before you buy.

Enjoy!

Chris,

Before you buy mate (im also local to you im southend and work in leigh) Castle point astronomy club have meetings every wednesday night and i know for sure if theres a clear sky and they have got a general meeting on and not a guest they get thier scopes out and they are all a good bunch of folks very nice and helpfull also once you join thier club they also "sometimes not guaranteeing" lend out thier scopes (to the descretion of the club) so definatly worth a look at before you purchase anything but of course this is my advise to you 8-)

Regards

Dan

Chris,

Before you buy mate (im also local to you im southend and work in leigh) Castle point astronomy club have meetings every wednesday night and i know for sure if theres a clear sky and they have got a general meeting on and not a guest they get thier scopes out and they are all a good bunch of folks very nice and helpfull also once you join thier club they also "sometimes not guaranteeing" lend out thier scopes (to the descretion of the club) so definatly worth a look at before you purchase anything but of course this is my advise to you 8-)

Regards

Dan

Hello Dan

Thanks for the tips I have had a reply from the club and i attend to drop by on Wednesday night. I got the funds on hold until I am sure on what i am doing lol.

What you do for a job we should swap :) .

Archived