Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

250px flex eyepiece advice

Shure

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using the standard SW eypieces that came with the 250px auto and as its my birthday coming up my better half has offered to buy me an eyepiece.

My main thoughts were along either the BST explorers or the Baader Hyperion Zoom. How are they on the faster scopes and what is the weight like on the Baader?

Are there any others I should be considering for a £70~ budget?

I did notice the Vixen NLVs on offer at the minute which I notice do have a small FoV but will this be such a problem for me if I am tracking?

Thanks

Chris

for nice wide views in your 'scope.. I'm with Robin..you need to go a long way to beat the panaview 32mm

For a 'good' budget eyepiece the BST explorers seem hard to beat...for a bit more the celestron X-Cel LX will work well with your 'scope & barlow well.

As for the click-stop zoom... it is handy when 'centering' things in your view if you have 'auto' or go-to...but, I feel the individual hyperions give a better view...and I'd rather have 2 individuals or 3 celestrons or 4 BST's for the same money as the click-stop

What focal length were you looking for?

If it's for planetary work the the NLV is as sharp as you can get. For deep sky you'd want something a little wider.

To be honest I'm looking for both at this moment in time and then another at a later date to fill the void.

A planetary eyepiece is priority but I am not sure between an 8 or an 12mm. For the wider field I was thinking either 28 or 32mm.

The panaview does seem to get some great reviews so some say that it is heavy. Am I likely to have any issues with the flex dob?

Does anyone have any experiences of the Celestron Xcel(not LX) eyepieces in the faster scopes?

These seem to be on offer at the moment for £40 and I was wondering how they compare to the BSTs?

Hi, the SW PanaView 32mm 2" ep would work well with your scope if you like low-power observing, otherwise I would recommend the BST Explorers, 12mm and 18mm for great views.

would these not suffer with field curvature in this scope ?

I have the solid tube 250px. At your budget I would steer clear of low power wide field e/ps unless you just want to use it as a "finder" . the stars in the outer 25% ish of the fov will be very "smeared out" (i'm not sure what the technical term is). I use an Aero 30mm 60 degree afov which is pretty good (but not perfect) - the panaview has a considerably wider FOV and is quite a bit cheaper so I fear it might not be great (but, to be fair, i haven't actually used one in my scope).

And to think I thought choosing the right telescope was difficult... welcome to the world of eyepieces!

Currently focussing on a planetary eyepiece around 8mm and I'm going around in circles between:

BGO

BST

Xcel-LX

WO SPL

Either way they all seem to get favourable reviews so I don't think I'll go far wrong.

Well after days of deliberating I have decided on the X-cel LXs I'll be getting the 7mm but I am not sure which other focal length to buy?

Thinking along the lines of the 12mm or the 18mm. I only have the standard SW eyepieces(10&25mm) with the intention to purchase maybe the 32mm panaview when back in stock.

Any advice as to what would probably be used more between the 12 and 18?

• 3 weeks later...

Having used the X-cel LXs for a couple of sessions it now pains me to pull out the supplied SW 25mm eyepiece. It has brought to light that I now desperatly need to replace this and sort out some low mag eyepieces with DSO in mind.

Can anyone recommend particular focal lengths for the 250px? Would the 25mm Xcel LX be a wise purchase.

I am still considering the 32mm pana but there are supply issues at present. I have also considered the Ultima LX 32mm but I cant seem to find any decent reviews at F5 or faster.

Thanks

Chris

I use both the 38 and 26 panaview ep's in my 300p. Brilliant ep's and I'm really happy with them. I bought a 17 unbranded one recently and it's nowhere near as good and it was £65. (Although quality does go down the lower you go) For the extra £20 the panaview is great. In the 38 (I call it 'my tin of beans' because it's as big as one) the wife who show's no interest in my hobby even said 'wow' when looking at Jupiter and it's moons.

the 25mm X-Cel LX will give you a slightly wider (& crisper) view than the supplied one due to its 60deg. view... but the 26mm panaview (£69) from FLO will give you a 70deg. view..if it's as good as the 32mm...it's gotta be worth checking out

Archived