Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Astroscapes

A couple of shots from Loch More.The panorama was taken about 30 mins after the moon had risen(just after midnight) just enough to bathe a little light on the Loch.The Andromeda and Triangulum galaxies are still visible,left of center.

The other shot was taken from the dam wall which was overflowing

which gave a nice effect when i shone my torch on it.A meteor was a very nice and unexpected bonus,i never saw it at the time but was pleased to see it when i got home and viewed them on the comp.

All in all a very satisfying 5 hour photo shoot.Will get round to processing and posting a few more.

LochMorePanoramaflickr.jpg

IMG_6353copyflickr.jpg

Stewart,

Beautiful shots, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of detail that can be seen in widefield shots. That must be a cery bright torch! What sort of exposures were you using?

Cheers

Sorry ,i keep forgetting to put the image info in.

The first one is a 4 shot pano in potrait orientation.

Canon 5DMKII

Canon 17-40L lens @19mm

30 second exposures

F4.5

ISO 4000.

Same settings for the other shot too.

The torch is a 10 bulb LED job.Very bright and as you can see is very much in the blue spectrum which i like.

Not realistic i know but i'm more into artistic than realistic so it suits me fine.

Thanks guys,had a fantastic evening.Forgot what a dark site looked like.Got a better image of Orion with the little Merlin mount and no light pollution than anything i have managed with my set up in the garden.

Think i'll sell my modded Canon 1000D,and LP filter because imaging out in the middle of nowhere is so much more enjoyable,especially with the 5DMKII, than battling against street lights and pain in the butt neighbours who leave every light in their houses on.

I think i managed to see more in the 5 hours i was out at the Loch than i have the past couple of winters.

Might even sell my HEQ5 GoTo and big newt and get a more portable set up.

Cracking shots the torch lit overflow effect works a treat...and the bonus meteor just adds to it :D

How portable do you need and what sort of FL are you planning on using?

Peter...

Now you're asking.I havent really thought much about it other than the fact i'm thinking its the best way to go.I have thought about the astrotrack but i want to give the little Merlin mount a few more goes for widefield shots at 40mm.I've been able to get 3 minute exposures more often than not without any trouble.

Next time i come out to Loch More i will concentrate on taking shots with it and skip the landscape stuff.

Beautiful... I like the effect of the stars reflected in the water in the first picture.

W.

I spent ages staring at the reflected stars,literally starstruck.

Its years since i have been out here at night but it wont be years till i go back,ideally we want to go about 10 miles further southwest

if just to get to the darkest skies possible.Big lack of roads or should i say tracks.

Manfrotto 327RC2 Joystick Head on a Manfrotto 55Pro Tripod.

Okay, so how have you got all the detail in the sky? Have you taken multiple images and then stacked them?

If that is correct then how does that effect the landscape at the bottom of the image? (I'm not doing very well at explaining what I am trying to say here!)

I'm new to all this astro imaging and a bit confused as you can probably tell!!!! :icon_salut:

Okay, so how have you got all the detail in the sky? Have you taken multiple images and then stacked them?

If that is correct then how does that effect the landscape at the bottom of the image? (I'm not doing very well at explaining what I am trying to say here!)

I'm new to all this astro imaging and a bit confused as you can probably tell!!!! :icon_salut:

No worries.Single shots,no stacking.The detail in the sky comes from being at a very dark site and using ISO 4000.

See post #5 for camera settings and other info.

Stunning stuff again Stewart. I see quite a few people (myself included) are concentrating more on portable widefield setups this year. Testament, no doubt, to the appallingly unpredictable weather (and sparse, short-lived clear skies) we're having here in the UK.

No worries.Single shots,no stacking.The detail in the sky comes from being at a very dark site and using ISO 4000.

See post #5 for camera settings and other info.

Really, wow. I wish I had access to such dark sites. Keep up the great work.

Stunning stuff again Stewart. I see quite a few people (myself included) are concentrating more on portable widefield setups this year. Testament, no doubt, to the appallingly unpredictable weather (and sparse, short-lived clear skies) we're having here in the UK.

Its the worst winter i can remember for cloud,its just dampened my enthusiasm for getting out with the scope,its also made me soft because i,m finding this winter colder than last and i was out in -15 last winter and enjoyed it.This winter its just damp and miserable,even on a clear night there seems to be a lot of moisture in the air.Not as much as you get though,my sons down in Greenock and almost everytime were on the phone he says"guess what,its raining,what a surprise".

Its the worst winter i can remember for cloud,its just dampened my enthusiasm for getting out with the scope,its also made me soft because i,m finding this winter colder than last and i was out in -15 last winter and enjoyed it.This winter its just damp and miserable,even on a clear night there seems to be a lot of moisture in the air.Not as much as you get though,my sons down in Greenock and almost everytime were on the phone he says"guess what,its raining,what a surprise".

I agree with pretty much all of that.

Cloudiest (and most changeable and unpredictable) winter in decades? Undoubtedly.

Enthusiasm severely dented as a result? Check.

A year or so ago, a friend & I would regularly go up to a local windfarm, on top of a fairly high altitude plateau, and spend up to 9 or 10 hours in temps of -10c to -15c, and think nothing of it. These days I'm struggling to find the will to lug the gear out to the front of the house. That moisture you mention has blighted so many potentially good nights that I've been within minutes of packing the car, only to see that previously transparent sky become consumed by that thin wispy rubbish that seems to wait for nighttime to appear. That said, the last two weeks or so have proved far more promising, in the lack of said moist cr@p, or at least far less of it. :)

Archived