Hi from Macclesfield

martindf3

Hi everyone .

This is all quite new to me. Over the last 20 years ,we had a Static van on Angelesey .I used to look up and marvel at the stars . An academic friend pointed out a couple of Stars and Planets .Thats as far as it went . Then last year something triggered me to take an interest in telescopes and binoculars looking at birds to the Moon . Then about four weeks before Xmas decided I wanted a scope .Started reading up and looking at this forum My wife banned me from spending money before xmas I had short listed a few scopes about £200 and missed a few on E-bay . Then it came clear to me why she banned me spending . My Wife and Kids (they are 28 and 32 ) and chipped together and got me a scope . They had got it 5 months ago . before I actually wanted one .

They had chosen a Tal 150 .For me a good choice . So there we have it . I'm swotting up on Stars Planets and Nebula . Stuck a Webcam in it Amazing , Found and now understand Celestrial North ,Still struggling with R.A. but have it set . Centre spotted the Mirror just in case . the collimation looks quite good though . But the weather's been **** and when the moon comes out its too bright .

What a great hobby!

And a great forum

Regards Martin

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum. I can just imagine the conversations your family must have had in the run up to christmas as they desperately tried to prevent you from making purchases - mind you the wait was worthwhile as Tal make very good optics indeed.

Clear skies

James

Hi everyone,

I live in Australia, my name is Sam. I love stargazing and tonight at 10:37 pm Perth time I was gazing at Betelguese (with the naked eye), I regularly do always with the thought of it's impending type II supernova. Tonight is a full moon ( Jan 11/2012) and given the size of Betelguese I was suprised to see clearly 2 distinct sources of light. Any possible explanations?

Hi Martin,

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't already download Stellarium, a great free planatarium program that will help you find your way around.

Enjoy your new scope.

Have an App on my smart phone (HTC) it is a great help Its Google sky . It has given me a real boost I struggle with R.A. particulary since tal scopes are set for Southern hemishere ,I taped over it and remarked it .Got Philips Astro Box ,thats enough for me for now . and its still cloudy

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum. I can just imagine the conversations your family must have had in the run up to christmas as they desperately tried to prevent you from making purchases - mind you the wait was worthwhile as Tal make very good optics indeed.

Clear skies

James

Thats great to know about Tal Scopes

I had actualy ear marked a smaller TAL scope that was local to me and came with a load of extras .I was cheesed off that she wouldn't let me get it .They sneaked it in the room when I was sent to make the tea christmas morning . Brilliant and totaly gobsmaked . and it was bigger than the one i would have picked .

Hi and welcome. Check out Macclesfield Astronomical Society. We have a beginners meet monthly at Holmes Chapel school (2 classrooms and an outside are), a monthly lecture and a monthly workshop at the Heritage Center as well as weekends in Yorkshire . Check out http://maccastro.wikispaces.com/ and Macclesfield Astronomical Society - stargazing, lectures and workshops for amateur astronomers

Archived