hello

crashtestdummy

hi everyone.my name is Rich and im from west yorkshire and have always loved the idea of astronomy but for some reason ive never got round to doing something about it.this year that will change.have browsed the forum for a few weeks and have decided to start with a pair of binoculars and a few star maps and take it from there for a few months.at the moment im mainly interested in the moon and the planets and viewing rather than imaginging so when i decide on a first scope that will be the main use so any suggestions would be helpful.could anyone suggest any useful reading material that would help teach me the best way to stary out?i have read a fair few of the beginner posts here and that has made me decide on binoculars to start with and looking at the celestron 15x70 skymasters,and already have a tripod to mount them too.thanks for a great site,ive learned quite a bit already and hope to learn lots more.

regards Rich

Hi Rich, welcome to SGL.

I have the Celestron 15x70 bins, and they are a great way to start. Make sure that your tripod is a fairly sturdy one, as the bins are fairly large, so you won't want to be holding them for too long. They do give a really good FOV, and are a great way to learn the skies. Have you downloaded Stellarium it is really useful. Anyway, good luck and clear skies. :(

once again,a bit thanks for a great welcome.i look forward to picking your brains even more in the future.ive been to a local optical shop and had a chat with the owner and had a good look round.tested out a pair of celestron 15x70's which feel really good and seem to be of good quality,especially for the price so will definately be purchasing a pair and a set of sky maps in the very near future and hopefully the bug will be well and truly caught :icon_scratch:

Archived