Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 (another) reprocess BUT this time with Pixinsight!

blinky

Got me a trial of Pixinsight so went back to my M42 data and did it in PI, right from stacking/debayering/alignment up to sharpening/deconvolve/curves etc I finished off a little in Photoshop CS5, really just a tiny tweak of the levels and saturation and I also layered in my other (ghastly, when I look at it now) origninal M42 to give a little more colour (mostly a bit of blue and also the core, as I never bothered with that in PI).

So.... What do you think? When I look at my other M42 I think this looks a lot more natural:)

As for PI..... Well....... Stacking is a bit more of a faf compared to Deep Sky Stacker but works fine and is not too hard to figure out. I am starting to get to grips with other bits of PI - DBE, star masks, stretching, ACNDR (The thing that gets rid of green noise) are all great but I still think you need PS to just finish it off although maybe I just need to use it more, time will tell.......

post-13107-133877714998_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That must be one of your best images Craig? The processing looks perfect to me.

I usually finish off in PS too, but the things you did, Levels and saturation are pretty easy in PI, if anything more accurate.

There is an issue with triangular stars though, probably means your primary mirror clips are too tight. Make sure they aren't clamped down tight to the mirror, you should be able to slide a business card between the mirror and the rubber on the clip.

Other than that, looks pretty much perfect :( I especially like the detail around M43.

Tim

Cheers Tim!!!

BTW, I dont have any primary mirror clips! I siliconed the mirror to the cell! I think my collimation was just a little off (as usual!). I also just did the histogram equalisation in PI and it's looking even better.....

Looking good Craig, very nice and looks like a PI convert to me. Time to get the cheque book out :(

Collimation eh..... Darn fast newts :o

I too use CS5 to finish off, I mainly use PI for calibration, alignment, stacking, clipping, stretching, DBE, ANCDR, SCNR and a few other tweaks.

Ooops, that last one is overcooked Craig :(

I'm not sure about the stars being that shape due to collimation. I have imaged with f4 newts for 3 years now and plenty of times had poor collimation, but never had three sided stars.

Might be worth keeping an eye on that, it was the reason I removed the silicon from my GSO 8" F4, couldn't quite be sure that there was enough give in the compound to enable the mirror to move freely.

I'm not convinced you have a mirror problem with those pinched stars, can you see it on a single sub?

It could be a tracking issue, I've seen some similar things with my refractors if my guiding is playing up

Thats nice Craig :icon_scratch:.

The triangular stars look like a result of a guiding error to me. You may find if you inspect the subs one by one and find one or two with the slight trail and then re-stack that you can lose the triangular stars completely.

Cheers

Ant

Brilliant, something for me to aim towards when I eventually manage to get out and do this. Nice tight stars and a naturally looking process. PI rocks, I'm quite liking it for processing now I am getting the hang of it a bit.

Archived