NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light pollution from neighbours

gthomas

Great!

I have a problem with one neighbours security lights, one in particular, but have so far not said anything as they are only on for short periods and tend to stay off after midnight.

Imagine my delight therefore when I discover they have gone on holiday all last week and left all their security lights on 24/7!! :o

And now it looks like they are away this week too! :(

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the best thing to do his ask them if they could turn it of ,invite them round to have a look ,with and with out the security light on ,by law security lights should only light the property of the house and not stray of there property

contact your local council does this light shine into any bedroom windows ?or onto your garden

am sure if you ask them they would sort some thing out failing that contact your local council and ask them what can be done i would not mention the telescope unless you really have to ,

It sounds like it might normally be on a sensor, or they're switching it on and off when they go in and out?

The best way to approach it might be to call around when they get back and say you had noticed it has been on for two weeks and wanted to let them know in case it was faulty as it could be costing them a lot of money.

If they don't normally leave it on then there's a chance it was left on by accident or somethings happened to the sensor.

That way you're potentially doing them a favor and also they know it's affecting you in some way. You could point out you noticed because when its on it shines into your house / bedroom (if it does in some way).

Tyr

lol I like it :(. But feel your pain those security lights really suck when they go on just as your finishing a quailty 3 minute sub of that impossibly dim galaxy. I tend to cry out like an insane banshee :sly:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

I am convinced architect who designed the new housing development where I live has absolutely no brain cells what so ever.

Every house has a security light at the back with an IR sensor. The lights are strategically placed next to the steam out let pipe of the combie boiler. As some neighbours leave them activated all the time, some of the lights go on and off all night! This is supposed to be an ‘eco friendly’ housing development as well. The result is no astronomy what so ever from my back garden.

I am convinced architect who designed the new housing development where I live has absolutely no brain cells what so ever.

Sounds like my landlord, he installed not just security lights but huge flood light security lights and they have been installed in such a way that they can't be turned off and to disable the fuse means the whole bottom floor of the house has no electricity. Plus they are so sensitive they go on whenever a rabbit wanders past and given the fact I'm looking at 3 rabbits out the window right now they turn on quite often.

I just climb a ladder and wrap some old tea towels around them when I know I want to go out and look up. He even complained about that when he saw the towels wrapped around.:(

Thanks for all your comments.

The plan is to have a quiet word when they get back and point out the savings for them, hopefully that will get some results.

I am considering having a word with the council about but purely so that it is officially registered somewhere that I have an issue at this time, just in case there is some dispute later on.

Want to borrow my lightbulb changing tool ?

bsa_xl_tactical_springer.jpg

Cat (and everyone else),

Please STOP suggesting using anything illegal in dealing with unwanted street lights, security lights and trees.

If I see more I'll start deleting them, if they continue then I'll have to put whoever posts them onto moderated posts.

SGL cannot and WILL NOT condone anything illegal.

Thanks

Ant

Cat (and everyone else),

Please STOP suggesting using anything illegal in dealing with unwanted street lights, security lights and trees.

If I see more I'll start deleting them, if they continue then I'll have to put whoever posts them onto moderated posts.

SGL cannot and WILL NOT condone anything illegal.

Thanks

Ant

Ant,

It was simple humour, massively tongue in cheek.

But point taken, I shall resist and ensure everything is squeaky clean :(

Oh come on that was just a sense of humour no one took that seriously or meant anything buy it! :o

It happens in virtually every thread we get on here on either an offending light or an awkwardly positioned tree though - either the "shoot it" or "burn it" suggestion is made. It's tiresome as much as anything, like any "joke" that has been made too often :(

Archived