Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Well that's made up for the poor weather recently!

Pug

Had a couple of hours under the very bright moon last night. Seeing seemed quite steady but transparency not good and moon washing things out didn't help. Using my 106mm on the giro mount.

The moon looked fabulous, very good along the terminator even at quite high mag. Jupiter ok, not too much detail there but caught the GRS when it was on show, plus a barge. Watched Europa disappearing behind the limb later on.

Just trawled around various objects. Almach looked good as always, plus Rigel with it's very faint companion. M42 very washed out of course but saw some detail with a UHC filter. M45 was a shadow of its normal self being so close to the moon, could barely see it with naked eye.

I did manage to find M81/M82 but only as a challenge to see if I could. Just recognisable in the 13mm ethos which darkened the background a little.

Best object of the night for me was revisiting ngc457, the ET cluster. Always makes me smile, and looked more like a little alien in the washed out sky than normal.

Stu

moon was sooo bright i had a terrible start. no filter so moon was too bright for me even with just the little cap off.

m42 was washed out, didnt even bother with m45. went in after 20mins.

went back out few hours later (bout 1am) got a nice view of m44 and ok view of m67. tried locating others around ursa major but just got a barely visable view of m81 and m82.

was pretty dissapointing until i decided to stay up until after 4am when saturn rose above the houses, im sooooooooooo glad i waited, 1st view of it for me and it was AMAZING!!!!!!! well worth the wait :(

Aside from the quadrantids meteor shower I have been trying to pick off some Messiers. Notably M93, M46 and M47. These are pretty tricky from my location as they skirt the tree tops even when at there highest. Last attempt was last weekend when I found the relevant field in binoculars but by the time I got the scope pointing in the right direction they were too low to observe!!!

I got up earlier in the week after the moon set. Some clouds rolling by but not too bad. First time I had a look in Virgo and Coma for galaxies....Wow. It was amazing. Reasonably dark skies. Just meandered around with no map or anything so not sure exactly what I saw. Definitely got M58, M59 and M60 but wow, practically tripping over them. I love galaxies.

Bart

Archived