Oxfordshire Newbie Got a gift from Santa

Jaybo78

Hello and Happy new year All

i'm Jay live in Wootton, near Oxford. Just got a Skywatcher 150P with EQ3-2 Mount for christmas :( only had a couple of clear nights so far, but manage to tick a few of my list of what to spot:

Moon obviously

Jupiter

the andromida galaxy - i think, but looked more like a fuzzy smudge :)

the Orion Nebular

and finaly the Pleiades Cluster

looking to get a 5mm lense some time to get the full 300x magnification range, and also look to try and take some photos through the telescope using the camera adapter that came with it, however, it came with no instructions so so advice on this would be greatly appreciated ;)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 5mm to get 300x as you'll never use it. It's too much power in a scope of that size.

I would look at around 200x max.

What is theoretically possible is not always possible in the real world.

I seldom go over 250x with my 10" scope.

Regards Steve

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice scope to start off with :), I'm using bins, but the 150p is one of the scopes i am interested in buying as my first scope. What were the views of Jupiter etc like? Anyway, I'm sure that you'll get plenty fof use out of your new scope. Cheers!

CW

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 5mm to get 300x as you'll never use it. It's too much power in a scope of that size.

I would look at around 200x max.

What is theoretically possible is not always possible in the real world.

I seldom go over 250x with my 10" scope.

Regards Steve

I would second that for the magnification ;)

ps Hello and welcome :)

Hi Jay and welcome to the forum. As said above, theoretical maximum and what can be achieved in the real world (variable atmosphere) are two different things and represents the usual marketing of statistics. Your scope will show you plenty and so you won't be disappointed.

Clear skies and keeping observing!

James

Archived