Another Newb

tone71

Hi all, Having bought my son a 76mm Heritage for Christmas and always having had an interest in the skies, so far with one clear night and having viewed the moon and found Jupiter and Mars I have decided that there is plenty worst ways to spend my evenings than gazing at the stars. I live near Epsom and therefore have light issues (neighbours with nice security lights that light the whole gardens!) but have found myself perusing this great forum and hankering after a larger scope to view firstly the planets then possibly more. My budget for a scope would be around the £300 mark and all recomendations and viewing expectations etc wold be greatly appreciated.

Hello Tone and welcome to SGL!! If you post in the Beginners Help and Advice you will get a better response to your question. I would suggest something straightforward to start you off - maybe a 200mm Dobsonian? First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian Or the 150mm equivalent if that is too big. These scopes are simple to handle and can be put down anywhere reasonably flat - they need no alignment etc. You get the greatest aparture for you money - good for DSO's and a reasonable focal length - for the Moon and planets. You can upgrade to an equatorial mount at a future date if you want to.

Archived