Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie (here an(d to the stars)

Kango_V

Just got some kit for the very first time. I've had some small scopes as a child but nothing major. Now got the following secondhand:

EQ6 mount

Skywatcher APO 100ED (upgraded crayford)

Altair 15mm EP and William Optics 28mm UWAN EP

Got out for the very first time tonight and got some cracking views of the moon and Jupiter. Could clearly see the banding on Jupiter and its moons.

So, what other EP's should I consider (or any other piece of kit). I will want to get into imaging, but I've read that that could be expensive.

Quite something when your eight year old looks at the moon and says "can I take a picture of that into school?". Hmmmm lol.

Well I'm sure I'll be lurking around here for a while.

Hi Kango and welcome to SGL, you have a nice outfit and taking a picture of the Moon may not be out of the question, if you have a small digital camera, try holding it up to the eye piece, there have been some quite surprising pictures taken by this method and your Son will be delighted, but be careful though, it can become addictive and you don`t want to slip into the dark side, do you ? :D

John.

Hi Kango_v,

Welcome to SGL. There is a guide in the eyepiece section regardingthe minimum you should have by Warthog, it is a great guide. LInks below allow you to put your scope details in and see what mag results also a small section on what you may see.

N.A.A. Telescope Math Calculator

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Enjoy your new kit.

Cheers

Welcome onboard!

You have a cracking setup for getting started, and its well capable for advanced subjects as well.

I'd think of obtaining a pre-loved canon DSLR and using a 2" MaxDSLR (AE) nosepiece to connect it to your focusser. Your focusser is a 2" size? if not then you will see some vignetting using a APS-C sensor, but there are ways to help that. You can obtain intervalometers cheaply - and I'd simply record 100 frames at 30 seconds each at 1600iso and stack to get nice photos of M42 etc.

Good luck - align well - and have fun!

Wow. That's the warmest reception that I've received from any forum. Many thanks guys/gals.

I decided to jump in and get some decent kit right off the bat but secondhand, so if we don't take to it, we can sell it on. I'm sure they won't happen as they keep moaning that it's raining lol.

I have a Canon 350D and I have the adaptor to attach to the camera and the focuser, so I'll have to play around. I really don't know what all this stacking of frames is though, so I'll have to do some reading.

As for EP's, I'm now on the lookout for a good ~5mm for some more high power viewing.

Archived