Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi to all

paul j

Hi i am new to astronomy and came across this great site,i am amazed at some of the photos that can be taken and very keen to buy myself a larger telescope,ive used a small telescope in the past but i wouldnt say it that powerful but i have been looking into puchasing a skywatcher dobsonian?could anyone recommend this telescope ?ive been looking at the 8 and 10 inch models.like i say im very new to astronomy but very keen i just need bit of help on a fairly decent set up and what would i need,ive been reading psts where people use web cams to view the photos?how is this attached ?sorry for the daft questions but like say im new and desperate for any decent advice you could give.i look forward to uploading some pics when i get the right setup.

paul

Hi and welcome to the lounge.

Skywatcher dobsonians give quite a lot of aperture for your money and are used by many amateurs. Owners will be able to tell you a bit more.

Webcams can be used for planetary / moon photography but can be modified to take longer exposures of deep sky objects. You would ideally need an equatorial mount for this together with motors to follow the path of the object as the Earth spins on its axis.

It's something I have only recently started looking into myself.

Hi Paul... & welcome to the forum

the 200 / 8 inch Dob is certainly an excellent starter 'scope which will serve you for years...the 10inch / 250 will obviously pick up more light & for visual use is far better.

for using a web-cam..as stated by kick-drum..you will need some kind of tracking...these Dobs are available with tracking or even full Go-To....or you could mount either on an equatorial mount at a later date, but they are not small tubes to get up onto a tripod & a decent mount can cost as much as the 'scope or more.

As a 1st 'scope...the 8 inch gets my vote

Thanks for all your replys much appreciated,i will keep you informed on how i get on it seems a bit complicated on the setup,could do with finding a good shop where i could go and discuss/buy some scopes can anyone recommend any in lincolnshire area?i live in scunthorpe.

Thanks guys i check it out,the 10inch dob would be nice and knowing me i just get it, im terrible if i want something :-) although i need save few more pennies for the 10inch im facinated at the photos you all taken and i really want to be a part of it too

Thanks for all your replys much appreciated,i will keep you informed on how i get on it seems a bit complicated on the setup,could do with finding a good shop where i could go and discuss/buy some scopes can anyone recommend any in lincolnshire area?i live in scunthorpe.

Northern Optics is in Scunthorpe

They should help you out

Archived