Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hiya

Balder

Yet another newbie here, although been lurking for a while :)

Name's Steve, but everyone calls me Balders & I'm from North Kent.

Always been interested in the constellations etc. Often seen laying flat on my back when camping - armed with my Phillips Planisphere and more recently "Google Sky". Due to various posts on here I've ordered "Turn left at Orion"

Thanks to lurking & reading (& you guys) I've purchased a 2nd hand Skywatcher 130PM that was in great condition. Very carefully cleaned the primary mirror of stuck dust & collimated it - film canister with a washer stuck on it :)

Had a good look at Jupiter on Friday evening and clearly saw it's moons :). Managed to figure the tracking too, bonus.

I intend to make a wooden carry case for the OTA. If anyone could point me to a thread or two to get some ideas of designs it would be much appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcome people :)

Todd - I cleaned it with a Brillo pad & Ajax. Seriously though, I literally just dragged a lens cloth over it a few times. I think the dust had settled whilst there was condensation on the mirror & was only just adhered to it. Someone today told me I could have used a lens brush gaffer taped to a stick & not removed the mirror. Live and learn & hopefully it won't need doing for a fair while.

Dumnut - "Good scope to start with" was because I'd lurked on here for a fair while before hand, so thanks to the posters on here for that one.

Archived