NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New observatory; the final worry...

ollypenrice

OK, the last main panel, the drop down rear flap (with cantilever counterweight and opening handle :)) went on today and everything works, so my anxieties were over - briefly - till I thought of one last potential problem. You see, I have never actually seen an ODK 14 inch... :)

Olly

1234-L.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't believe you'd make such an Error Mr P.

Not on such an important project.

Looks like you'll have to move the scope to the House, and Monique and you into the Obs. You'll need a high Tog duvet mate, it looks draughty in there :).

Ron.

Olly,

Actually I was wondering about the size of the obs? If you are imaging only I guess it doesn't need to be as big as for visual?

The only reason I ask is I keep mulling over a little obsy at home (for imaging and visual) but the best location for it is very tight on space. In the photos yours doesn't look too large so that is encouraging!

John

Olly,

Actually I was wondering about the size of the obs? If you are imaging only I guess it doesn't need to be as big as for visual?

The only reason I ask is I keep mulling over a little obsy at home (for imaging and visual) but the best location for it is very tight on space. In the photos yours doesn't look too large so that is encouraging!

John

Mine measures 2.4M by 4.3M on the ground. When the roof rolls back over the warm room it overhangs the warm room by about a metre, so you might need to allow for that. You could certainly make it smaller. I wanted the warm room to be big enough for a bed and to accommodate a couple or three guests at the computer. The scope is also going to be quite a size, joking apart.

If space is tight my other observatory type might be better for you: I have made three roll off sheds where the shed is like a sentry box to cover the scope. Open the doors and roll it back away from the scope. If you add a drop down desk you have a convenient computer room jusslikethat! The thing about this design, though, is that you have to build the frame in steel. The open ended structure is not workable in wood. Ditto my new observatory roof. Because I wanted to get to our good low horizons the sides had to roll away as well as the roof, unlike the Alexander designs I've seen, where the high walls limit your low elevation views.

Here's one of my smaller sheds, now relocated with the help of a small army of friendly neighbours to carry it!

foundations1-M.jpg

Olly

No worry, the first dewy night will shrink-fit it into the obs! :)

Nononononono....honestly!

Everyone knows that with these fancy carbon tubes you're supposed to sit with them in a cold bath!

:(

Heh, it hasn't happened yet. In reality I think we'll be fine. The scope area in the obsy seems enormous to me but the scope's owner hasn't anywhere to set it up for a careful measurement of the cylindrical space it will occupy. However, it's a folded design so won't really be all that big... I hope!

Olly

Can it be folded any smaller Olly!

Not without inducing that kind of tinkling sound not beloved of astronomers...:)

Earl, I will paint the blocks if I fail to get a render to work but I'd like to try rendering with the sympathetic local lime mortar and yellow sand, producing an ochre colour. My mate Brian has had a go at this but it will have to wait till Spring because it is too cold for cement at night now.

Olly

If you're slacking the lime, make sure you're well away from anything optical...inc tubes!

We recently had some render repaired and the lime dust 'etched' a car parked by where the builders were mixing! Not happy neighbour...!

If you're slacking the lime, make sure you're well away from anything optical...inc tubes!

We recently had some render repaired and the lime dust 'etched' a car parked by where the builders were mixing! Not happy neighbour...!

Good tip, thanks for that.

Olly

Archived