Hello from Hampshire

Bladerunner

Hi to all,

Just joined so I thought I would say hello and introduce myself.

I was very keen on astronomy as a teenager, in deed my two volume school project was about the constellations of the northern sky. Then work and later family intervened and it is only now that I have retired, that I can return to this early interest. The knowledge gained all those years ago has, however, stood me in good stead as I still know the majority of the constellations and where to find them even though I haven't renewed that initial interest in over 40 years!

Of course many things have changed out of all recognition but I look forward to buying and using some of this amazing new technology. The one undesirable change is the seemingly, ubiquitous growth of light pollution. I can remember crystral clear skies and a limiting visual magnitude of better than 6 in the heart of Berkshire. But even for this there are some partial, technological solutions so I am hoping it will not be too serious a hindrance.

My telescope of choice will be the William Optics FLT 132, which I hope to purchase sometime in the new year. I would also like to progress to astrophotography and have already read Steve Richard's wonderful book 'Making Every Photon Count', which has already revised my earlier plans.

Finally, I would like to say a big thank you to the many members who have posted both questions and answers on the site. I have spent many hours reading numerous threads and have already gained much information and a lot of useful advice about all sorts of differnt aspects of this fascinating and rewarding hobby. I hope to be able to repay their contributions with some of my own in due course.

All good wishes

Geoff

PS. The POW from Jonas is absolutely stunning, congratulations!!;)

Hello Geoff and welcome. I too, retired quite recently and, like you, have returned to the hobby of my teenage years. Fortunately I now live in an area of comparatively low light pollution and the clear night skies here are fantastic. I hope you find the forum useful.

Archived