Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead Nebula from SE London

carastro

Taken from my Back Garden Bromley/SE London (POD) early hours of 28th.

29 x 5mins 800 ISO, CLS filter, Modified Canon 450D

Skywatcher ED120 Pro, Guided with ST80 and PHD

+ darks, Flats and Bias

Stacked in DSS and post processed in Photoshop CS3

Full Frame

Could do with a few more hours, but was quite pleased with it considering the location.

Hoping to add to it.

Carole

post-18809-133877699646_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice Carole and incredible for SE London - the CLS filter is good but does have its limitations.

I see your 450 is modded - I've just modded my 1000D - I had a go at Horsey the other night but was defeated by sky conditions, but I did notice curiously that before modding, the flame was more orangey whereas now it's modded, the flame comes out more reddish.

BTW - my wife shares your name - pleased to say hers is also with an "e" at the end.:icon_confused:

Awesome pic Carole!!!!

loads of detail. Good old ol' LP filters!!!

@ Casperovic: yes to both :-) you won't catch much from emission nebulae like the horsehead without modding the camera. You also really need at least a few minutes per sub minimum on targets this feint. An hour or two of five minute subs is about the least you can get away with.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Wow, so many replies.

Just have to say thanks to every-one.

Casperovic:

i was trying to capture same frame using Sony alpha 390 , i did 10x60sec and after stacking horsehead was barely visible :icon_confused: do i need more/longer subs or modified camera ?

A modded camera will capture the red, but as you have a Sony, make sure you get lots of advice before doing it as I know some cameras can be problematic after modding for day time use.

Very nice indeed!

But a bit redish though?!

Have u saturated the red chanel?

Yes I thought so too, but I examined all the channels and they were pretty much the same.

If I try to reduce the flame it reduces the red I want to keep.

Carole

Yes I thought so too, but I examined all the channels and they were pretty much the same.

If I try to reduce the flame it reduces the red I want to keep.

Carole

Hi Carole, from my few subs the other night I'm going to have the same issue with the flame so I hope you don't mind but I had a quick go at your image to tame down the red in the flame without losing the red of the horse nebula (The colours were well balanced in teh histogram) - I'll probably need to do the same to mine. I also just gave it a quick noise reduction. Considering it's a jpg, it responded very well to processsing so it's obviously a good image.

If you like it - great. If not, just ditch it:)

Regards

John

post-14401-133877699805_thumb.jpg

That looks good John, what method did you use to tone down the flame without affecting the rest of the image?

Carole

Hi Carole - Using Adobe CS3, I created a duplicate layer, adjusted the colour saturation to tone down the flame (ignoring the effect on the horsehead at this stage). Then I hid the layer, and using the paint brush, blended in the duplicate layer just over the flame to merge it with the main image. Hope that makes sense. Then finished off by merging the layers. A useful technique which can also be used for selectively sharpening areas of an image.

Regards

John

I got some more subs last night, and I think I've got the colour better this time.

27th - 29 x 300sec 800 ISO - Modified Canon 450D, CLS filter captured in Canon Utility + PHD

29th - 20 x 300sec ....ditto.................................ditto..captured in APT with PHD dithering

Skywatcher ED120 Pro, guiding with QHY5 and ST 80 on NEQ6

So total of just over 4 hours.

You may be wondering why the two different capture programmes. Well I've been wanting to learn APT for a while as it has some good features such as PHD dithering and Framing Mask. However everytime I hit a glitch, I would revert to Canon utility rather than waste good imaging time. I think I've finally cracked it. I used both dithering and Framing Mask on this image.

Carole

post-18809-133877700267_thumb.jpg

Hi carole

A lovely reprocess of the HH, I imaged this last year and it looked like a carbon copy of your original ie (flame too red) I tried endless reprocessing to cure this but to no avail. so maybe more date needed?

anyway very well done

ATB martyn

Archived