January sales

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January is mid-season plus you have the BBC Stargazing series which created unprecedented demand last time round where by vendors were running out of stock, so highly unlikely to get any deals.

Only bargain I've had was 25% off nagler EP and that was to do with some anniverary promotion. Was good though, paid £240 for a £300 nagler zoom which is my best EP

if your looking for a good 800 cpc, there is one with a discount on telescope outlet website, £1349 with warranty, never delt with them myself but i know people that have, also as mentioned above, with the stargazing live event happening again in January you might have to wait for some of the more popular scopes and mounts.

if your looking for a good 800 cpc, there is one with a discount on telescope outlet website, £1349 with warranty, never delt with them myself but i know people that have, also as mentioned above, with the stargazing live event happening again in January you might have to wait for some of the more popular scopes and mounts.

Bought my "used" C8 SCT OTA from Telescope Outlet. 1st class service and the OTA was perfect, not a single mark anywhere and looked like it had never even been used.

As mentioned there may be a few promos but don't expect many bargains in January.

John

Oh well, bad news and good news, I suppose....bad that offers are limited, good that I just HAVE to get one for Christmas!!

I just looked at Telescope House but I don't believe they sell Celestron (it's one of the Hyperstar compatible CPC models that I'm after).

FLO deals don't include the CPCs so their price is pretty comparable to elsewhere...good but comparable.

That's the best way of looking at it.

Being such a niche market, sales and prices promotions are rare. If you are buying new, can't go wrong with FLO and other suppliers who are well rated here as they are competitively priced and offer good aftersales service.

Looking for an ebay bargain is not recommended and you need a fair bit of experience to get the right second hand deal.

...FLO deals don't include the CPCs so their price is pretty comparable to elsewhere...good but comparable.

My advice would be to talk to them. Deals are sometimes possible that are not actually on the website. Plus they are good folks to chat to, in my experience. No hard sell at all :icon_confused:

My advice would be to talk to them. Deals are sometimes possible that are not actually on the website. Plus they are good folks to chat to, in my experience. No hard sell at all :icon_confused:

+1

I spent an hour last week talking to Peter at OpticStar in Manchester. Lovely chap and could not have been more helpful. No hard sell and told me to take my time and consider my options.

Steve

Christmas and BBC stargazing live will have people buying scopes in dec/jan. You can bet that many people will hold onto the scopes for a couple of months or so, then you'l find some decent second hand deals around april/may (just in time for my birthday ;))

:rolleyes: Lol, yes, i was thinking that too. But they will be cheapo ones me thinks. I can't imagine many 11 inch systems to be coming up then :icon_confused:

Price hikes??? Yikes, I never even thought of that one!!!

Only hope is VAT coming down me thinks. And since Georgie Porgie the chancellor has finished in his Autumn Statement, that ain't happening !

Or maybe a special manufacturer promotion? But when they can sell their stuff anyway, that is not likely either. This is a cliche interest with people who generally have the means to pay. So deals are few and far between.

You'll also notice the second hand market maintains it's value very well too for kit in good nick. So brand new is hardly going to come down in price. I sure wish it would since I have a large purchase to make myself.

My 2c, I could be talking rubbish but after watching the market for a year I think not.

Oh no ... I'm coming full circle AGAIN on my thinking!! I looked at that deal a week ago but thought that the CPC was the way to go for the ease of alt/az set-up. Throw in Hyperstar for super fast F/2 imaging without the need for a wedge or tracking, and I thought I was done. Now I'm thinking 8" CPC, good mount versus 11" OTA, marginal EQ mount needing polar alignment. Aaaargh . Time to gather my thoughts and re-check my thinking. Just how much more can I see in an 11" OTA with atypically verage seeing compared to an 8" OTA??

Archived