Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader hyperions

Dave006

Just got my 2 new hyperions wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1st proper lenses. I was so excited thought I would just let you guys know. A marked improvement over the standard ones that came with the scope. Clarity and contrast are most impresence.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just got some as well, it's a great feeling getting new kit. I had my first go with them last night, I thought he supplied EPs weren't bad until I did a back to back test with my new 8mm. In comparison to the plossls it was unbelievable! It was like the sky had been opened up. To be honest, I've got a TV 15mm plossl which is great quality but gives such a narrow field of view I think I might end up selling it.

The only down side for me was the 24mm hyperion, in my f5 newt it was little disappointing, still better than the 25 sw plossl but not great over the full field. Back to the drawing board on that one I think.

..The only down side for me was the 24mm hyperion, in my f5 newt it was little disappointing, still better than the 25 sw plossl but not great over the full field. Back to the drawing board on that one I think.

F/5 is quite punishing on wide field eyepieces. The trouble is, to get improvements, more £'s are needed ;)

<Swoon>

Very nice ;)

Last night I was observing Jupiter with my Hyperions and remembered to try the 14mm & 28mm fine tuning rings. Easier to use in the dark than I thought and made a real difference to the view, particularly with my 8mm. I had been thinking about buying a 10mm but now I've changed my mind. For £15.82 new, the fine tuning rings will look after that focal length so I'm now considering a 31mm or 36mm aspheric so I can fully enjoy the views of the Pleiades.

Hi Guys. Just tried mine out on Jupiter and my SCT. Very very very impressed. The seeing aint too good tonite but I've never ever seen Jupiter with this detail. Totally sold on these EP's.

Can't see me changing em. Got both FTR's. Well worth the money to see if you can just "up" the mag a nudge.

One happy chap. John

I'm definitely a fine tuning ring user. Usually it's with my Hyp 10 to squeeze out the last bit the seeing allows when the Hyp 5 is too much. But there was once, while observing the Moon, that the seeing was so I good that I succumbed to the temptation and put both rings on the Hyp 3.5 for a whopping 611X. Only a little soft and a reasonably illuminated field. And to think this was with a 102 mm f/11 achromat.

BTW the Aspheric 31 mm is well corrected for f/4.9

I've been comparing the FOV of M45 with the 31mm & 36mm Aspherics at http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

I had 'nearly' decided which one I wanted (okay I hadn't really :)) but then read by removing the first group of lenses from the 21mm Hyperion gives an effective focal length of 32.2mm.

So now I'm even more confused, not to say indecisive!

The objective is to view M45 in all it's glory, so what say you all - 36mm, 31mm or 21mm???

In my opinion the 24mm is the best choice if your telescope is 1.25". I don't like adaptors.

The 24mm is many step ups from possils and just a few down from Nagglers at quality factor.:). But the price is not that bad at all.

Hi Zaphod360, I found the same problem with the 24mm, though not as bad as you suggest, but I guess I wasn't sure as I had heard such good reports about them. I now use an Axiom LX 23mm instead and that is cracking.

Archived