NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Before I make a mistake selling my 250PX

Hi All

Some of you may know I have myself a bad case of aperture hunger. For those of you who don't know, I have a 10" SW dob and was looking to get a larger 14" SW flex dob. Given what I was going to have to sacrifice (basically all my kit) to get the funds together for the 14" and the effort I have been informed they take to get through door ways, down stairs and no doubt fitting into the car has now put that idea out of the window.

This now only leaves me with one other option in upgrade and my budget range and that was to go for a 12" SW dob. I am well aware of the size increase of these dob despite only being a 2" aperture gain so I was thinking if I was going to for this some what pointless upgrade I would go for the flex dob hoping that the 44% light gain and improved portability over a solid tube would make it worth my while. The trouble is the truss design has it's obvious shortcomings as well as some critiques by people who have them.

So I decided the only way around this is to have a vote in the hope I don't go and sell my 250PX and both regret the decision to let it go and make a large financial commitment for no obvious benefit.

I think the nature of this hobby you are always going to end up wanting more as I have seen from comments on another thread where the chap already has a huge 16" scope but is now considering an upgrade ;) So at what point do I accept that I am at the limit of what I consider my convenient aperture ? Taking this in to consideration I have come up with another option to help me quench my aperture hunger in the form of a 1100D. My passion IS visual astronomy but I now think I have reached the practical limit of me doing this and even if I was able to upgrade to a 14" how long would this fulfill me before the hunger returns ? I don't plan on taking imaging to it's extremes but just offer myself an opportunity to distract my self from wanting more aperture and hopefully get some sort of astronomy images to show for it in the process.

I know it the boring old do I or don't I threads that I'm sure you have all heared before but for the sake of my sanity I would really appreciate if members would take their time to vote or voice their advice.

Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about going smaller? I'm being serious, nice refractor to go with that 1100D? Sure you can manage it in non bank breaking ways and still have the 250.

Just a thought ;)

My vote - no, don't sell it for the additional 2", wait until you can justify/manage going the whole hog and supersizing.

"Never ask advice from an elf for he will say both yes and no" Tolkien

14" is nigh on 50% more light gathering. if you've nowhere to store it etc it's just a big (very big!) lump taking up room. It's gotta be your call mate....

Only you can decide, however I'd say stay with the 10" because -

You seem to have some doubts about the 12" Flextube. You say that the 12" is more portable, but although shorter when collapsed, it's a fair bit heavier. Are you ok with a heavier scope?

If you have outside storage near to your observing area, then something larger could be ok for you, wheels could be fitted, some have gone this route.

Hope you come to a decision and relax about it, Ed.

How about the dark side of Video Astronomy, I was amazed at the views when I fired up a cheap Samsung CCD strapped to a modest Refractor. You will need to put it on an eq mount for best results however even on a goto ALT AZ the views are great.

How about the dark side of Video Astronomy, I was amazed at the views when I fired up a cheap Samsung CCD strapped to a modest Refractor. You will need to put it on an eq mount for best results however even on a goto ALT AZ the views are great.

This was another consideration but I figured the EOS would see some use even when the clouds dominate the sky.

I would probably stick with the 10" as well as the general consensus is that they are very close in performance. I recently looked through a 12" solid tube and the difference from my 8" was immediately apparent, but that's a 4'' jump! Good luck with whatever you decide mate.

This was another consideration but I figured the EOS would see some use even when the clouds dominate the sky.

Very true but at £80 + VAT, a cheap usb capture and C to 1.25 adaptor why not give it a go as well :-)

I would probably stick with the 10" as well as the general consensus is that they are very close in performance. I recently looked through a 12" solid tube and the difference from my 8" was immediately apparent, but that's a 4'' jump! Good luck with whatever you decide mate.

This is my problem. I have a 200P permanently set up and I use the 250PX as a grab and go. If I get a 300P to replace the 250PX I would then see the difference you did between the two scopes. This is where I can't get the idea out of my head as I would not be comparing the views between a 250PX (which would be sold to fund the 12") and 300P but between a 200P and 300P. The trouble is the most are saying the views are not that different between the 250PX and the 300P yet it is between a 200P and a 300P ;)

You really do have 'astronomy fever'. You've got a fantastic eyepiece collection, a range of scopes and now you are thinking of getting a bigger scope or some imaging kit. You are just like me - always looking for that bit more! Keep the 10" rather than sell a load for the small gain of a 12". If you can pick up a DSLR without selling kit then some astrophotography will certainly keep you occupied but may lead to wanting a whole new list of kit. Good luck with your sanity!

I have asked this question in various forms across other threads and the common reply is to keep what I have. I kind of already knew this would be the best option but having a potential buyer in the midst for the 250PX I wanted to make sure. My head has been spinning the past few weeks so thanks everyone for your input.

I went from a 10" Skywatcher dob to a 12" Meade dob and found the Meade just too heavy and awkward for my observing. After abouht 6 months I sold the Meade and bought a 10" Orion Optics newtonian OTA which I use on a Giro-type mount. I have portability again and, predictably, the 10" OO gets out much more than the 12" Meade aver did. There was nothing actually wrong with the Meade apart from it's lack of relatively easy portability.

The above experience returns to me when I start to get aperture fever and has so far kept me in check. I had a good look at a 14" Flextube this summer and it looked a 2-person job to me ;)

So, on that basis, and not having an interest in imaging myself, I'd suggest sticking with the scope you have and making the very best of it :)

As I do this for a living I have an assortment of nice toys. I'll be dead honest and say that a 20 inch still feels way undersized compared with what I can image in an 85mm refractor or even just a camera lens with an aperture of under 60mm. Some will say it isn't the same. That's what I used to think before I started imaging but now my involvement with the wonderful stuff that is out there is more satisfying, for me, that ever before. Would you feel the same? I simply cannot know. It is always going to be personal.

I think, again personally, that a jump from 10 to 12 inches isn't worth much effort or expense. A jump in quality would tempt me more. EPs, mirrors... better is bettter. You can be thrilled by an increase in aperture and/or you can be thrilled by an increase in quality. I love using the TEC140 visually not because it can compete on aperture but because it cannot be beaten on quality. Some say this is BS because it is BS for them. It isn't for me.

I'd go for CCD over DSLR if you are serious about the deadly dark side...

Olly

Thanks again to everyone for your input. I have with much regret let down the potential buyer voicing my concerns for letting the 250PX go ;). If anything I hope it has shown how important it is to try and get the right scope first time around. It has been hard to accept the happy medium between aperture and practicality but hey such is life. :):crybaby2::)

Hi

Personally I would give the bigger 12" scope a go.

You can always sell it if you don't get on with it.

If you buy second hand you won't lose much, if anything.

Plus at least you'd know then for sure.

I bought my 16" to see if larger scope observing was for me and have never looked back.

Bigger scopes are not for everyone as many will tell you, but until you've owned one you'll never know.

Regards Steve

I think the nature of this hobby you are always going to end up wanting more as I have seen from comments on another thread where the chap already has a huge 16" scope but is now considering an upgrade ;) So at what point do I accept that I am at the limit of what I consider my convenient aperture ?

:)

Ultimately, no matter what you own, you will always wonder what a bigger scope will show you. However, the hassle factor of larger scope is very significant and this, along with expense, is what ends up quenching aperture fever for most people.

What you should remember is that a 10" somewhere dark will show far more than a massive scope in suburbia. I'd much rather have one night with my 10" in dark skies than a week with a 14" in the back garden. No contest. Also, as others have suggested, mirror quality and eyepiece quality do make a difference.

I think you made the right choice sticking with the 10" for now. Even if you decide to go larger in the future, a 10" is a very nice scope to keep as a "grab and go." Very few people with >12" scopes have only one scope...

Archived