NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New amateur astronomer & forum user

TRNunes

I'm returning to amateur astronomy after more than thirty years. In my youth, I had several 'department store' refractors I spent quite a bit of time with, but pretty much lost touch with the night sky when I started college.

Anyway, I recently decided to jump back into stargazing feet first and purchased my first 'real' telescope, a Nexstar 8SE. Since my new scope's arrival, I've been fortunate enough to have three semi-clear nights (i.e. a few wisps of cloud here and there). And, by the third night, I actually overcome most of my initial mistakes, got SkyAlign to work, and spent several hours viewing the Moon and Jupiter (I even managed to snap a few camera phone pics! (Note: Being a newbie, the system didn't allow me to post the link... They're not that great anyway (smile))).

I've had no luck with DSOs yet, possibly because of the Moon, though more likely due to light pollution here in the western suburbs of Chicago. Also, though I've read a few articles here and there (including the months of on-line research on particular scopes, prior to purchasing my 8SE), I consider myself to be a complete novice who's looking forward to learning from all the more knowledgeable amateurs out there.

That said, feel free to share any "pearls of wisdom" you'd like, as all will be appreciated!

Sincerely,

T.R. Nunes

Lisle, IL

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi and welcome to sgl,theres no such thing as a bad picture they are all great ,and when people post there images whether the equipment cost 1 pound or one thousand pound, they are all winners and the person who takes them as achieved some thing and every one on sgl is there to help ,with how to get the best with what you have welcome again and enjoy sgl

Hi TR welcome.

As they say 'one small step' As you perfect your art you'll look back and realise just how much you've learned and how much progress you've made. You'll soon be scouring the heavens like a pro :)

Dave...

hi and welcome to sgl,theres no such thing as a bad picture they are all great ,and when people post there images whether the equipment cost 1 pound or one thousand pound, they are all winners and the person who takes them as achieved some thing and every one on sgl is there to help ,with how to get the best with what you have welcome again and enjoy sgl

Todd,

Wonderfully said! I'm going to keep those words in mind tonight, as we're supposed to have perfect weather here in the Chicago area tonight... Clear skies and a balmy 30F (I think that's around -1C?).

Sincerely,

Tim

Archived