Newbie in Oxfordshire

Solo05

Hi from Oxfordshire.

After many years of using just my Mk1 eyeball to gaze at the stars I thought it was time to up my game a little. I have persuaded santa to get me a set of Strathspey 20x90 binoes. From all the reviews/reports I have read these seem a good set to get for a beginner.

I was very lucky the other day when I walked into my local photographic shop looking to see what they would have in the way of tripod when the owner said they had a second hand manfrotto 074B for £40.00. Well I could not let that bargain escape me even though there was no head with it at that price. I have since found a 10kg rated ball head on ebay which is on the way.

I have a set of 10x40's given to me recently and managed a quick look a Jupiter last night which I found by using the google sky app on my phone. Can't wait to get the 20x90's setup for a proper look.

Does anyone have any worries about this asteroid that will pass between the earth and the moon tomorrow ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Solo and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't waste any money on buying a hard hat as it most certainly won't be hitting the earth (closest point on 8th Nov 23:28pm). Will be travelling closer to the moon than here in any case and will reach its closest point on Nov 9th at 7:14 in the morning - moon will be below the horizon to see anything.

Like Michael, I believe anything worth seeing will always be blocked by the weather!

Clear skies in the meantime

James

Archived