Size is important, so what's the smallest?

I'd really love a 8 inch dobson but there is only one problem, my other half.

Having seen images of the 6 and 8 inch dobsons I have a feeling that Little Miss Lemming would kick me out of the house if I bought such a big dust gatherer to sit along side all my other toys.

With this in mind, what is the most practical/smallest telescope that I can buy and get as much viewing pleasure as possible from it?

I know bigger is better, but if I want to wake up with all my extremities still in situ, then I have to consider others. :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you consider the tripod for an EQ/AZ mount, the dob mount takes up less space. However, dobs are definitely less ornamental.

I would say that you can see some nice stuff from around 100mm aperture. The cheapest high quality views you can get ofr that size (100 - 127mm) are Maks. You will be able to resolve the stars of 2 or 3 globs, see a couple dozen nice open clusters, and see some interesting details on Jupiter and Saturn. The moon will deliver, even with a small scope.

Another small scope that will show you stunning views is a Coronado PST. Of course, you would only be able to look at the sun with it.

The SkyWatcher 130P (5.1") on an EQ mount (or other) is a very popular choice with people buying their first scope and it is also considered a really good scope with more advanced users.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors.html

I personally have the Skywatcher Heritage 130P flextube Dob model because it suits my mobility/portability issues.

"bigger is better" really only comes into play if you have no storage/mobility/portability issues.

Clearly you do. So bigger is not best.

The best scope for you is the one that you will use often and not leave sitting in a corner because you cant use it.

An 80mm refractor.

Seems to fit in a place that allows you to do most things pretty well.

Which 80mm is the question, an ED would be better then an achro, just they cost more.

Easy to use and transport.

Equally there seems to be a bit of a group on Cloudy Nights that use 60mm refractors, just I suspect these are a bit small. I would say a 70mm is also a little on the too small size.

Suggest that you avoid the f/5 refractors, image curvature could be a problem when viewing.

You might consider either a 5" maksutov-cassegrain or a 5" schmidt-cassegrain. Very compact scopes but capable of delivering very nice views and can be mounted on a relatively lightweight mount.

I personally have the Skywatcher Heritage 130P flextube Dob model because it suits my mobility/portability issues.

I may be a bit thick here, but how do those flexi tube things work?

I can get my head around a big tube with a mirror at the end to collect the light but I don't understand how a tube with its sides missing will collect light as well?

Are flexi dobs affected by light pollution more because half the tube is missing?

You pull out the top along the extending tubes then wrap a light shroud around it usually to block stray light coming in and to help prevent dew. So you are normally wrapping a temporary tube around it. I have used it without a shroud though it ruins the contrast when I've tried that, not sure what it would be like from a super dark site but I would think it would dew up quickly in the UK?

Edit: you can buy nice shrouds but I'm using a cut out camping mat at the moment.

I may be a bit thick here, but how do those flexi tube things work?

I can get my head around a big tube with a mirror at the end to collect the light but I don't understand how a tube with its sides missing will collect light as well?

Are flexi dobs affected by light pollution more because half the tube is missing?

You pull out the top along the extending tubes then wrap a light shroud around it usually to block stray light coming in and to help prevent dew. So you are normally wrapping a temporary tube around it. I have used it without a shroud though it ruins the contrast when I've tried that, not sure what it would be like from a super dark site but I would think it would dew up quickly in the UK?

Edit: you can buy nice shrouds but I'm using a cut out camping mat at the moment.

You are correct. The open truss design can let in stray light and decrease contrast and also cause dew on the secondary mirror.

I personally have not found either to be an issue but i have made a shroud/dew shield for the scope using a camping mat that cost me £6.

It basically encloses the secondary to avoid dew and removes stray light.

a 300p reflector am sure you can hide it some were, i was out when the boxes came mrs todd8137 rang me and said a coffin sized box is sat in the living room " i thought you said it was small" with that she put the phone down,

I use the OO Europa 150 plus original Porta mount when doing public astronomy sessions with my astro group (the scope is theirs but is a 'loaner'). This is a great little setup that is easy to use, can be used as a grab'n'go and breaks down into the OTA and mount / tripod components which fit into a cardboard tray picked up from my local supermarket and sits in the boot of the car between observing sessions. If I didn't have the Dob I would definitely get the VX6 / Porta-II as my own setup.

I had a very similar dilemma back in April this year when I went ahead and bought an 8" Dobsonian before I had actually seen one in the flesh. I dropped a huge clangar with that one. I have a very small house and did not full realise how big it was going to be before I got it. Once fully built up I realised that it was huge and could not cope with such a large piece of kit on a day-to-day basis so I sent it straight back.

My Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT may not deliver as good an image as the dob would have, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to accept. Put it this way. It's good enough for me and it also keeps the other half sweet. Result!!!!!!!!!!

Always a shock when the boxes arrive and you realize that it's not all packaging.

Another vote for the 130 Heritage, it even looks good as an ornament.

If you need a big scope with little storage space,

the Meade Lightbridge will store as a small base unit ( primary mirror) and the top bit. I use shower caps to keep dust off the mirrors.You can hide it away in the wardrobe or a handy cupboard.

Honestly, all things considered a 6 inch Dob would take up less room than a 70mm refractor and tripod.

Olly

I totally agree Olly. In fact my 16" dob has a footprint of only 21" square and easily sits it a corner. OK I am being a bit daft with that comment but as you suggest unless you break down a small frac/Mak/SCT and tripod into bits and store them away, any small dob will take less floorspace.

Archived