Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Neck Tripod for Binoculars

colinfret

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colin

Does it extend to a useable height for astronomy? I'm also guessing there would still be giggles.

My guess is go for a tripod. If you have a heavy pair, get a good one, if they're up to 15x70s get a decent one.

Bart

I reckon that would be unusable - as bart says, it would need to extend upwards more than the picture shows, plus it would be pretty damn wobbly in use I think.

Any movement in your neck would in turn move the bins, so you'd end up having to strike some kind of vogue pose for ages just to get a decent view of anything.

I thought the old cheap camera tripod I had would work OK with my 10x50 bins, but it's just not strong or stable enough and even walking next to it when it's standing on the grass causes it to wobble. I'm thinking this neck tripod would be a bit like strapping on that.

I,ve used one of those (under another brand name)

They really do the job. It does extend out.

You can twist the base to go on your shoulder for looking up.

OK, its not as sturdy as a tripod, but does the job if a tripod is not an option

Colin,

I have tried a neck tripod and I find that it really only comes into its own when slouching in a recliner!!

What I have found more helpful is my lightweight photo tripod BUT using it as a monopod!! - I have one of those Ironing board "perches" (seats / stools) to provide a very comfortable arrangement which is easy to move in order to view different areas of the sky.

My bins are 10x50 and the above arrangement is much MUCH better than hand holding!!

Well the neck/ chest pod landed on my mat this morning after 5 days in the post. First impressions out of the box I was doubtful it would be up to the task. After a bit of fiddling there dose seem to be some potential for use while lay on a sun lounger. There is no doubt breathing is going to effect the stability of the object being viewed but I cannot see it being any worse than using binoculars unaided and it has the advantage of preventing fatigue and in so extending observing time. The extension even with a binocular "L" bracket may be OK for camcorders or bird watching but will never be long enough to use standing gazing up at the stars. I find standing while using binoculars soon gives a pain in the neck and it's far more comfortable to use a sun lounger anyway so no problem there. There is a quick release plate so you can remove your bins before attempting to de-shackle yourself from the strap. This strap though is where I think the chest pod will fall short as the adjustable strap that goes around your back to help keep the pod from slipping and also adding a degree of stability is simply too short to fit around a wrapped up warm winter night astronomer. I barely managed to get it around my average sized chest with a warm Hoodie on so it is very doubtful that even the slimmest of fellows would get it around them with a warm winter jacket on. I'm sure it's OK to use with out strapping the pod to your chest but I think this will loose some of the foundation the strap appears to offer. I'm sure it could be lengthened in some way but I doubt it would really be worth it.

While I still have to put it through the mill under the stars my first impressions are that for £20+ it's more suited to it's intended purpose as a light weight support for compacts, camcorders, bird watching or SLR's than for star gazing. BUT for under £8 delivered to your door I doubt you can go far wrong and think looking up at the stars on my sun lounger it is going to take a lot of strain off my arms and reduce any risk of getting my greasy eye lashes on the lenses. (previously supporting the bins on my eye sockets to help take the load off my blood drained arms)

@ spaceboy Very informative; thanks. I ordered one last week, so I guess I ought to start keeping my eyes open for some webbing with which I can extend the back strap so it will fit 225 lbs of overweight amateur astronomer.

I'll probably find out for myself in due course, but is there anything to prevent self-gelding if one lets go of the binocular?

@ spaceboy Very informative; thanks. I ordered one last week, so I guess I ought to start keeping my eyes open for some webbing with which I can extend the back strap so it will fit 225 lbs of overweight amateur astronomer.

I'll probably find out for myself in due course, but is there anything to prevent self-gelding if one lets go of the binocular?

Let us know how you get on Steve as I was looking at one of these but I am quite large....

Paul

I thought the strap was designed to go around your neck not around your chest :)

Helen

Thats how i use mine

Its never going to be as sturdy as a tripod but I do use mine for both astro and birding

Steve

I thought the strap was designed to go around your neck not around your chest :)

Helen

DOH!!!! :):icon_redface::) THANK YOU Helen that makes more sense. :):)

The distinct lack of instruction had me thinking the sturdiest way to strap was around the chest. Trying it around my neck dose now seem the most obvious choice duh. OK that sorted the strap is long enough but it is in my opinion not as sturdily held as when it was around my chest but none the less there is a lot more room for adjustment up and down the chest now. I found the best place to rest the support was just above the solar plexus where it is not so effected by the raising of the chest/ ribs or diaphragm / stomach. I'm now hoping that the fact that the strap goes around the neck that this isn't going to rub or cause any neck ache which I shouldn't think it will ??

is there anything to prevent self-gelding if one lets go of the binocular?

If your referring to standing and inadvertently allowing a pendulum action into the family jewels the NO! Expect to be talking with a high pitch for several minutes as if you let those 20x80's go they are heading due south. If your talking about the other head then the same applies if you are lying in the horizontal position staring at zenith. The only adjustments are length of strap and pod and tilt on the QR head.

Given the weather report I think everyone will have received theirs by the time I get chance to try it out under the stars. I'm guessing most of us will be using the same 15x70's with them (there is a fair bit of plastic so I wouldn't recommend anything heavier) so it will be interesting to see how different people find it. I have been having another mess with it and I still can't help but think it offers a better foundation for the pod strapping it to my lower chest so I may see if I have an old ruck sack I can scrounge some webbing off. Again I would be interested what other members think.

Mine arrived today. The first impression was that the device oozes tackiness; as Spaceboy has said, there's a fair bit of plastic. However, let's remind ourselves that this is designed for small cameras being aimed approximately horizontally, not binoculars, sufficiently heavy to need more support, aimed above 60 degrees! We are hoping (against design function) that this will serve our purposes.

Obviously, it has been raining since it arrived, so I can't report on is "real " use, but here are some first impressions:

• It definitely improves steadiness on both of my hand-held binocs (Opticron 10x42 BGA and Strathspey 10x50 Marine).
  • The altitude axis does not clamp sufficiently tightly to prevent it rotating under the weight of the Strathspey (1.2kg), but it is fine with the Opticron (0.66 kg).
  • It is surprisingly comfortable.
  • Self-fonging can be avoided by putting the binocular strap around your neck.
  • If you are using another instrument (e.g. telescope, big mounted binocular) as well, I have not yet found a comfortable and satisfactory way of keeping the neck-slung binocular out of the way.

I'll report back when I've had the opportunity to use it under the stars but first impressions are that it's good for under a tenner; I'd not be too impressed at its RRP of 20 quid though.

Archived