Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neck Tripod for Binoculars

colinfret

Well I don't know about you Steve but I just tried the neck pod out under the stars and I have to say it was money well spent. I think the 15x70 are bordering on the brink of snapping the thing in half but other than that my quick scan of the sky had me pleasantly surprised at how much more stable the image is. I was able to see comfortably up to 46' while standing. While I didn't bother getting the lounger out (full moon wash out) I do think these will help loads to take the strain off my arms. Once you have the bins attached it adds a bit of weight and it actually feels reasonably rigid (in a loose sense of the word) against you chest.

2 points 1) If you do use larger bins keep the strap around your neck for piece of mind. 2) The tilt head just doesn't lock so make sure you keep a firm grip of the bins and don't be tempted to just hold the pod. Other than this it's not bad for just under £8 and I'm almost tempted to get another one for spare.

THANKS for the heads up Colin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've read the comments on the bins some of you use with the neckpod but I'd still like to know your opinion on:

1. maximal weight the neckpod is supposed to bear

2. maximal usable magnification

3. stargazing while standing - is the neckpod long enough to keep the bins where they should be?

I'd like to buy my first bins (as cheap as reasonable) so that I can get away from my light-polluted place, I don't want to carry around a real tripod and I'd like to get as large bins as it makes sense without it. If you have any suggestions for a suitable model I'll appreciate them.

Hello,

I've read the comments on the bins some of you use with the neckpod but I'd still like to know your opinion on:

1. maximal weight the neckpod is supposed to bear

2. maximal usable magnification

3. stargazing while standing - is the neckpod long enough to keep the bins where they should be?

I'd like to buy my first bins (as cheap as reasonable) so that I can get away from my light-polluted place, I don't want to carry around a real tripod and I'd like to get as large bins as it makes sense without it. If you have any suggestions for a suitable model I'll appreciate them.

1. 10x50's anything bigger would be too heavy for the top hinge.

2. x10

3. Yes but not for objects above about 60 degrees and the views are still not 100% steady because of breathing and heart beat.

You might be better getting a mono pod you could then get some 15x70's.

I like Chris's idea of the monopod - I currently use a photo tripod without the legs extended ie as a monopod - with my 10x50 bins on top of a tilt and pan head.

The tilt is set to a friction level that holds nicely but can be moved smoothly. I use this arrangement in conjunction with an "ironing perch" and find the system very steady and quite a pleasure to use.

I often have a red light illuminated music stand to hand with a star atlas for reference. Everything is correctly orientated and I regularly "take a break" from the telescope and have a relaxing scan around the sky!!

After pondering for some while I recently took the plunge and bought some Canon IS 15x50 bins. IS while brilliant doesn't however remove all movement from the view .

Surprisingly, what I've found is that this neck pod actually complements the Canons extremely well - the pod steadies against the larger movements leaving the IS to remove the micro shakes, which is what it's best at.

This results is virtually shake free views no matter what position you're in. Last night I had some fantastic views for example of the Auriga open clusters virtually overhead while fully reclined, Orion with a low angle view while standing, etc., etc. The views were so good I had to keep reminding myself that these were NOT tripod mounted.

So far, my experience is that bracing against the effect of larger body movements seems to allow the IS to function better than if the binoculars are hand held. The neck pod also reduces the weight burden on the arms from what are a pretty heavy set of bins and makes them i.m.o.h. a much more versatile piece of kit.

Hope this helps if you have IS bins or are considering getting some.

Alan

If you happen to have a Manfrotto tripod, then by whipping the central support out, you can attach the end clips on the strap from your gadget bag to the "carry strap plate/loop" at the base of the column. Effectively making this set up for free, but perhaps even more robust. Maybe other brands have the right feature set too?

I've found the straps from some laptop bags are even more comfortable too. Especially those with a broadening out shoulder pad as it can spread the load better.

I guess one could tinker with an old mono pod (unexpanded) too.

It's all worth tinkering with.

If you can only get one clip through the base loop then clipping the second clip to the first one can sometimes get the job done too.

Have fun! :)

Well, tried it out, and to be honest, it worked better than I expected. Surprisingly stable and held the bins at a good height. Breathing upset things a bit, but with a bit of breath control - I'm a sax player, so good at that sort of thing - I could manage to get a really pretty steady view. Good value at a fiver.

Olympus DPS1 10x50 - worked very well

Revelation 15x70- - pretty good, made them possible to use without a monopod

Binolux 30x70 - a bit too much, the extra magnification meant the neck tripod wasn't really useable

Warning.

The neck strap can become unscrewed from the body of the neck pod.

I nearly lost my bins last night when the strap suddenly fell away (luckily I had the binocular strap on as well otherwise it might have ended in tears).

Lost one of the round black screw in parts somewhere in the dark so have given up on this particular neck pod.:D

I suggest you all check your pods, unscrew the offending parts and glue them in "just to make sure".

hi, you all may be interested in my bino mirror stand. works great and very comfortable and controlable no neck strain.

pictures of it on my profile.

basicaly is an old telescope yolk type mount stand, a round bathroom mirror and a good pair of bino,s cobbled together in about a half hour. using zip ties and a couple of nuts and bolts. the mirror swivels and the bino traverses left and right. simple but the results are amazing when its in use. best of all you can set the bino on a subject then swap user so you can share the veiw with ease. :icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...
Warning.

The neck strap can become unscrewed from the body of the neck pod.

I nearly lost my bins last night when the strap suddenly fell away (luckily I had the binocular strap on as well otherwise it might have ended in tears).

Lost one of the round black screw in parts somewhere in the dark so have given up on this particular neck pod.:)

I suggest you all check your pods, unscrew the offending parts and glue them in "just to make sure".

Good call, thanks, mine were quite loose when I checked.

Haven't tried it out yet as I only received my L bracket today! Originally ordered one from the 7 day shop, but had an email back from them after a few days saying they were out of stock and so would not be supplying one to me :icon_scratch:. So I ordered the Strathspey one from ebay. It's very good.

I also purchased the 7 day shop mono pod. At £5.99 I couldn't resist. It will need some sort of head to give enough adjustment to look up towards the zenith, but it seems quite sturdy for first impressions...

Archived