newbee

stargazer79

Hi all, im almost as new to astronomy as i am to this website! Ive had an interest for years but never took it up as a hobby. im lucky enough to have good dark skys from my garden so ive been out there getting to know the night sky and learning my way around the constelations.

Yesterday i took delivery of my first pair of binoculars. they are 8x56 and give lovely clear views of the night sky and i could see jupiter and what i think may have been 3 or 4 of her moons, but the fov is a bit disapointing. Any suggestions for a better pair?

Once im ready i will get my first scope. im thinking 8" dob but ive not made my mind up yet!

Im sure i will be pestering you all for info before making any desisions!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL. If I were in your shoes I'd go for the dob rather than better binoculars. While you will see a bit more with new binoculars, the dob will show you things that you never could see otherwise. Be sure to keep using the binocs, some things are best seen with the wider angle of view. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Archived