Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finderscope recommendation

Could someone recommend a good finderscope? I am thinking to replace a 9x50 straight through with a right angled one for easier operation. A 6x30 will probably do the job too, as this is intended for a refractor that has a fairly wide field of view. I prefer something in white as this would be the closest match to the colour of the optical tube and also Sky-Watcher compatible.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the time I use red dot finders of one sort or another, eg: Telrad, Rigel Quikfinder etc. I do have an Orion 9x50 right angle correct image finder that I use alongside a red dot type from time to time.

Skywatcher do a RACI finder which is the same as the Orion one but it's a little less expensive - around £70 I think.

I forgot to mention that I prefer a finderscope with a removable diagonal/eyepiece. I think the Sky-Watcher has a fixed diagonal/eyepiece and is not available in white colour.

I think that probably narrows it down to the Antares then. They are a bit more pricey though. Any particular reason that you are looking for one with a removable eyepiece just out of interest ?

I think that probably narrows it down to the Antares then. They are a bit more pricey though. Any particular reason that you are looking for one with a removable eyepiece just out of interest ?

If the diagonal could be rotated, it would be much easier to use.

Having to contort your body to get your eye in line with the finderscope eyepiece is a real pain - almost literally. Since my main interest is imaging and I have a warm room adjacent to the scope room, I'm going to use an alternate approach of fitting a webcam to my finderscope. A window in the dividing wall door will allow me to see roughly where the scope is pointing while I control the mount from ASCOM (or CdC).

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the diagonal on the Antares 8x50mm finderscope can be removed and if it can be rotated in order to choose a more comfortable position for the eyepiece?

It can be removed and rotated. It's held in by a grub screw but that could be replaced by a knurled set screw to make for "no tools" adjustment. The finder can't be used "straight through" without an extension tube of some sort though to make up for the light path that is taken up by the diagonal.

Could you not simply rotate the entire finder in the tube rings to get it to a more comfortable angle before lining it up with the two thumb screws? That would strike me as the easiest option, personally if I owned a RA find I'd have the eyepiece angled towards me so I can take a quick peek without moving far from the eyepiece and/or contorting my body to get a look.

BTW this thread has reminded me to get around to buying a RA to replace the straight-through one that is fitted to my dob. A god awful thing to look through once the 'scope is pointing upwards so high, although it does allow me to roughly align the tube before looking through the finder. If I do get around to buying one it will be the SW model.

Since the whole finder scope itself can be rotated within it's holding ring(s) you can set a right angled finder at any position you find most comfy. I tried the Antares raci and didn't get on with it - in the end I settled on the Orion raci which fits all standard SW shoes.

However the SW raci from what I see is the same as the Orion - just a spot cheaper. It's a very nice piece of kit, the 8x50 will show you more than the 6x30 and makes it easier to center on stuff. I'd recommend the Orion 8x50 for any commercial scope, and for a dob - add a Telrad for the perfect combination :D

I was looking into this as well, and yes, the Antares is the cheapest one with interchangeable eyepieces. There's the more expensive one like Baader and so forth.

Are you sure 30mm aperture is bright enough for your sky? I have a 6x30 finder and can barely see anything, whereas my 10x50 bins picks up more than stars, easier for hopping.

And if it's for a wide field refractor, maybe you only need a very low mag ultramodern eyepiece, no need for a magnified finder. Just use red dot finder..

• 1 month later...

The reason for considering a 6x30 finder is not only because is intended for a refractor with a wide field of view (approximately 3 degrees at low power), but also to reduce weight. I am using an alt-azimuth mount and I am having problems keeping the optical tube balanced.

I made my own, as shown here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/123929-16x70mm-finder-prostar-22mm-erfle-illuminated-cross-hair.html

though in these images it still sported a 45 deg diagonal, recently replaced by a 90 degree, so it is a real RACI finder. It sports 4.4 deg FOV which is enough for me. I gather Celestron used to make a 16x70 as well. For use on my little 80mm APO, it would be a bit ridiculous :icon_scratch:. In the past I made a similar 10x50 from an old pair of bins. Worked very well in deed.

The wide-field refractor is not that small as it is a 4" f/9. And I think I prefer something a little more powerful than zero magnification finder.

In that case, the Antares rt angle is excellent, but I wager you'd still get more use out of a Rigel or red dot, if you had both.

I really want to get the Stellarvue 13 x 80 finder but its not available in UK. I'm thinking of ordering one from the US.

Anyone ordered stuff recently from the US?

Steve

I bought a Stellarvue raci finder direct from them in the US and had no problems at all. Lots of contact e-mails to keep me posted etc. They are a good company to deal with in my experience.

Tom

Hi all, just joined the forum. I have a skywatcher mak 127 and I'm looking for a new finder of some description. I've got problems with my back so it's literally an absolute pain for me to contort myself into looking through the straight through finder! I was recommended the rigel quickfinder by a member of the local astronomy society I belong to. But after looking at it online, would it not look absolutely ridiculous on my little scope? Do you also have to look straight through a red dot finder? Thinking maybe an ra finder is the way forward.

Thanks

Archived