NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I level the tripod and mount?

stringbean

I'll try my best to make things clear. When I set my tripod up I get a mini spirit level and place it across the top of the flat surface in all directions and get the bubble nicely centred. Now then, when I place the mount on top of the levelled tripod I was expecting the little round spirit level on it to be centred also but it doesn't happen. The bubble on the mount is outside of it's little circle. OK, so I extend the tripod legs until I match the bubble in the circle on the mount. But then I can visually see that my tripod is now not level. There is nothing wrong with the mini spirit level I use to level the tripod so why am I getting conflicting readings? How do I get both the tripod and mount level?

Thanks.

If you are sure your mini level is correct then you have to trust it, sounds to me that the mount spirit level is off perhaps the mount has had a knock or been dropped? I always use a 24" level when setting up my tripod, I do not trust the inbuilt spirit level- but thats me.

We all do this lol :)

If you're just observing with an EQ mount then levelling doesn't need to be exact though it is good practise. Polar alignment is more important which needs to be "exact" for imaging but only "rough" for observing.

If it all looks a bit un-level visually, then don't worry cos the ground or background objects may be giving you an optical illusion. EQ mounts look wierd when you first use them but a little practise soon improves things and they become second nature. :)

Whats the mount? Not all "mount" bubble levels can be trusted...

It's a CG-5 Equatorial Mount. I was beginning to wonder if the spirit level on the mount was not right.

I'll carry on using my spirit level on the tripod itself then.

Alternatively - if you're setting up on soft ground the leg tips might have sunk down a bit after you add the mount onto the tripod :)

lol,...I,m not that naive I hope. I observe from my back garden and always place the tripod on my patio. Don't be too hard on me, as a relative newbie, I didn't realise that's what you all did with regard to levelling the tripod with a spirit level.. I wasn't sure how accurate the mount spirit levels actually were. Seems like my one is way off.

The mini-levels on mounts are often NOT aligned - I would ignore them. There is no real need to level your mount, it is the polar alignment that is critical. If you think about it, as long as the polar axis is aligned, it doesn't actually matter which direction the tripod and other bits and bobs are pointing! The only reason for levelling is convenience.

Sorry Stringbeean - I wasn't suggesting that at all mate. With only 55 posts I wasn't sure if you were a "newbie" - they often miss subtle points like that. :)

No worries brantuk. Your replies have always been helpful to me.I am a newbie to the forum and although I've had my refractor for a couple of years I've never really used it that much until now. I'm also one of the few females on this forum and did introduce myself as Ann when I first joined and hate guys calling me "mate" but you can call me sweetheart if you wish. :)

The reason I chose stringbean for my username is because I've always been quite slim.

Hello stringbean,

If its any use the bubble on my mount is out. What I have done is put a black dot on the glass with a black marker pen then after levelling the tripod I check to see if the black dot is in the center of the bubble (not the bubble in the center of the mount level). Hardly worth it really but it's just another check for sake of another check..

As said before, level the Tripod then put the mount on and see where the bubble is.

Rotate 180 degres and if the bubble is in the same place as before it is not aligned.

If it has moved to the oppossite position to before then the bubble you are using for the Tripod is out.

My gut feeling is it will be the mount bubble that is useless.

A good idea is to test the level of the Patio. Then with the tripod with all the legs fully retracted. Put the mount on and check the bubble.......it should be in the same position as the level of the patio.

I'll try my best to make things clear. When I set my tripod up I get a mini spirit level and place it across the top of the flat surface in all directions and get the bubble nicely centred. Now then, when I place the mount on top of the levelled tripod I was expecting the little round spirit level on it to be centred also but it doesn't happen. The bubble on the mount is outside of it's little circle. OK, so I extend the tripod legs until I match the bubble in the circle on the mount. But then I can visually see that my tripod is now not level. There is nothing wrong with the mini spirit level I use to level the tripod so why am I getting conflicting readings? How do I get both the tripod and mount level?

Thanks.

I can't see any point in going to a lot of trouble leveling the mount- your'e wasting time that could be spent polar aligning. As long the polar axis is good it doesn't matter if the mount is level or not.

hi ann mate lol. only messing, you can buy what they call a surface mounted level from maplins on line only cost around a £5 same principle as your mount level and you can check both planes at the same time. but im sad like that and like to get everything spott on. mike

Regarding levelling the mount this thread may interest you....you could be completely wasting your time worrying about it

Yep, don't waste your time leveling a GEM, it's unnecessary. Definitely a case of "Near enough is good enough". Check out the YouTube videos in that thread, they are an eye opener.

Archived