Hello from me.

adgecutler

Hello all, I'm Jamie and live just outside Bristol, I have looked up at the night skies for many years often while fishing and enjoyed their beauty, also for quite some years I have toyed with the idea of buying a telescope. With a little money burning a hole in my pocket on Saturday I went looking for my first telescope. Iwish I had read up on the subject first as it seems I paid too much for what I came home with!

After returning from Bristol with my overpriced Celestron Astromaster 130 eq md I waited for the wife to go on her weekly public house gad about and managed to settle my little boy, then my daughter and I assembled the telescope and after she could stay awake no longer I managed to get the brightest target in view, it turned out to be Jupiter and 4 moons. I had not aligned the telescope (and still have not) so just picked a big shiny "star". I could make out two bands and the 4 satelites with the 10mm lens supplied and was quite chuffed with myself. Tonight in a short window between cloud I also viewed the Moon which was very exciting to a beginner like myself.

I hope that I can keep this enthuasiasm going by finding and viewing more objects with my new telescope and wonder if you may help my choosing some good eyepieces and lenses for it. I shall try to align the telescope next chance I have and see if I can pick out some of the other easy targets, also I am interested in Solar viewing, are there filters I can purchase for this 'scope?

Thanks in advance for any replies, Jamie.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Jamie :(

I'm about 12 miles SW of Bristol myself so not far away. The best accessory you can get for your Astromaster would be a better red-dot finder - the one supplied with the scope is notoriously difficult to use :)

Adge Cutler?......... Thought he was dead......

He is, sadly :D

Great character though - I saw him play live with the original Wurzels many years ago :)

Hi Jamie

A warm welcome to the SGL,keep with it , it takes some time to get used too moving you scope around and fixing it on a object I have a goto scope but did not use it for 14 months wanted to find my own way around the skies

Doug

Essex UK

Wow, thanks for all the welcomes and advice it is much appreciated and Stellarium looks great. When I mentioned I thought the telescope was overpriced I meant from the particular outlet I purchased it from, I paid £230! I have since read the rrp is £200 and it is available for a little under £160 if I had looked around. Unfortunately I took the salesmans word that it was very competitively priced, I'm now wondering whether to return it (I called to shop and they said they would accept it back) and buy a different telescope for the £230 or buy the same one from a better priced outlet. What does everone think?

As for the question about motor drive, I haven't used it I'm affraid.

I've seen it advertised for £130 so I would get my money back and buy a dobsonian as you will get more aperture for your money which in turn will mean you resolve more detail and sustain your interest for longer. The Astromaster scope itself is ok but the cheap mounts that many of these size of scopes come with are so twitchy, it makes tracking and focusing a bit of a juggling act. The red dot finder is far to bright and is a little tricky to align with the scope, so without being too negative, you're not going to miss much by getting your money back.

Clear skies

James

Archived