NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fed up off mucky knees using the polar scope?

g0ibi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have not done an action run as yet due to the cloudy weather, but bear in mind I will have a free hand to hold a red light without breaking my back!! As someone said the astronomy shed video's are well worth a look...

Nah. Most of my unfinished projects don't fit into boxes :D

James

Same with mine :( Trouble is, when I get the urge to return to a project, I can never find all the bits! :) I'd love to be organised and tidy but it just doesn't happen! :)

Clear sky tonight so have tried 'scope-cam'! Worked well but only if the polar scope is partly illuminated! Worth a try, so I will order a red LED illuminator from RVO tomorrow. Will keep you posted,

Hi

This is a splendid idea. At the minute I use a purpose made 4 x 75mm swivel wheel seat. I use a decked area so I can sit on it and scoot right under the tripod. Give the tripod legs a hug and the polar finder is just right, then scoot out a few minutes later. My bones are too old for bending.

I'll definitely give this a go though

I am building along the same lines only not a camera but a diagonal. I have an old diagonal from a cheap scope and I am at the moment mucking about with a box full of lenses to get the FL correct so I do not have to take off the Polar scope EP, I have come close and it may take a combo of lenses. I will keep you all posted as is expected and will provide pics too!

Whilst Dions webcam polarscope is an excellent inovation, it does require a webcam and associated electroconmical gizmetry.

My solution was to utilise a spare Canon angle finder 'A', wot I happened to have kicking about the BIG shed doing not very much really........

IMG_8617.jpg

Really neat solutions being presented here. I think I have a Contax right-angle viewer for an SLR hanging around somewhere, I could dig that up as well.

In the mean time, to prevent getting dirty knees, I use a rubber pad used to keep the knees comfortable when tiling the terrace. Not as nifty, but it does work.

I got an un-flashed SPC880 for this mod and found that the canister from a 35mm roll of film is a nice fit over the polar scope of my EQ5 so I used that. :D

Even better, the base is thinner than the step on the focus ring so there's no need to sand the base. Just make the hope and glue the focus ring in place. ;)

I found that I had to shorten the canister by about 15mm to get focus once it was fitted to the SPC880 but that's it.

Hi

I tried this but was not overjoyed, as has been mentioned it only achieves focus using the afocal method i.e. with the webcam lens + polar scope lens.

I also came up with the same idea in the right angle finder. I am a happy boy now, my Ashai Pentax kit which cost a fortune and is now worth next to nothing is coming back to life. The right angle finder works well on the Polar scopes and finder scopes while my 135mm lens is now the eyeball for my guide camera. Yippee!

Archived