Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello From Upstate NewYork

boogieman

Hello my name is john and have been looking up for a long time, but never to learn. So in my middle fiftys now i have the chance to soak up some knowlage about that beutiful night sky, It has a magic about it that can calm down a stressful moment and erase all tension just by looking up,amazing. So for a year on and off i have been buying different scopes and observing when i can, I never really learned the cosmos in my backyard because my etx 125 went automatic to what ever i wanted to see. But now my wife has bought me a 12" lightbridge dobsonion, what a difference it has made, i get lost easly and am finally learning some of the sky.

So now we have a small observatory on the way made custom by the amish with a detachable roof, i have to build the outside framework and put the rails and rollers on myself, next week will be exciting for me when it arrives. anyhow i am a man with many hobbies,but only two i am real serious about, astronomy and ham radio. guess this is enough for one post,I look forward to hearing from the group and am always open minded to new ideas. seeya john alias boogieman.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John, I have many memorable mental pictures from my childhood of the night skies from the Saratoga region of Upstate NY. I'm sure you have less light pollution there than we do here in Cincinnati, OH (been here since 1986). Glad you got the new scope and post some pictures. What part of Upstate are you located?

Hi John - Also mid fifties and bought my first scope a yaer ago (C8). and I have recently bought my second . My wife has yet to buy me one so maybe I'll show her your post and wait for my Dob to arrive (We all live in hope)

Hello John, welcome to SGL.

Great scope you have there. I`m thinking of something similar for myself to get some observing in while the 350D captures the subs(that i`m still learning to take). Good luck with the obs and take lots of pictures, we like lots of pictures. :):)

hi I am in the country,our town does not have a traffic light and no street lights here,tv is by satellite only,no cable either and the internet is dsl onlybefore that was satellite internet,nice but expensive and limited. I am located 15 miles west of cooperstown ny and about 30 miles south of utica ny. seeya john

Archived