new and thick to the ways of the telescope

sandgroper

:):p:) this is I new to star gazing, well bought my first telescope waited for clear skys and :) all i could see of jupiter was a white disk with the shadow of the mirror that directs the light into the lense slap in the middle, I have a celestron astromaster 76eq with a 10mm lense.

now I know I'm doing it wrong please advise then I may hopefully be :(:):p. what size lense would be better do I need filters?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think your scope was focused as it sounds like you are seeing the shape of the secondary mirror.

try pointing at the sky (anywhere will do as long as it's dark and clear) and turn the focus knobs all the way out. put in an eyepiece (the one with the highest number = lowest power - use this) and then start to take the focuser back in again. does it ever focus?

if not then take it all the way out again and hold the eyepiece out of the focuser slightly and see if it focuses. if you can lock the eyepiece in position there then great. if not you may need an extension tube.

hope this helps.

Archived